Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fence makeover

KingStreetReno
Making a Splash

Fence makeover

We have been slowly transforming our 'backyard' AKA courtyard since moving into our Victorian inner city home. 

The previous owners kindly left us a cheap and nasty shed which was located in the left hand corner of the space (I forgot to take a before pic, but the you can see the discolouration in the fence where is was originally located).

Three sides of the neighbouring fence are in ok condition - apart from one section which is literally crumbling. We have decided to leave this for now until phase 2 of the make-over (which will involve sorting out drainage problems etc).

Phase 1 of our make-over was to remove the shed and to spray paint the fence. We bought a spray gun which cut down the painting by hours and painted it in Dulux Domino - a dark grey with cool undertones.

The first coat took us around 1 hour in prep time using Cabot's Deck Clean plus 2 hours to spray paint. 

The following day my husband painted the second coat in just 1 hour! He watered down the paint a little more for the second coat which worked a treat.

I cannot rave about using a spray gun enough...it saved us hours and hours of paint time and there was practically no mess to clean up. Just ensure that you soak the spray gun afterwards to ensure it doesn't get clogged! 

AFTER: 

After 3.JPG

After 2.JPG

BEFORE:

Before 1.jpg

Before 2.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Fence makeover

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Dixiebell.

It's great to have you join us and many thanks for jumping straight into the conversation with some kind feedback. Do you have your own fence painting project in the works? We would encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance with a project or have something to share. We have many creative and helpful members just waiting to lend a hand who also contribute their own inspirational projects for around the house and garden here all the time.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kirky
Getting Established

Hi, how do you care for/maintain it?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @kirky, many thanks for joining in the discussion.

No maintenance is needed beyond an occasional brush down to remove any dirt, dust or other debris.

Our own fence makeover has held up very well five years on. The colour has faded a little in the hot sun but I don't think we'll need to repaint for at least a few years yet.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're really pleased to have you join us and invite you to post anytime you have something to share or need a hand with a project. 

Jason

fiona3754
Just Starting Out

Do you need to use the Deck Clean on the older Timber fence prior to painting?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @fiona3754. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

I do not believe a deck cleaning product is required on all older timber fences prior to painting. As per the Dulux Weathershield application guide:  "Timber: Fill nail holes with a flexible, exterior grade wood filler. Sand all dressed timber.". There is no mention of a deck cleaning product. If you have significant growth of moss or algae on the fence I would certainly advise using the deck cleaner to remove it prior to painting.

I am under the impression that @Jason gave his older fence a good brush down and then applied Dulux Rapid Finish directly to it. Perhaps he can update us on how well it bonded to the fence.

We look forward to following along with you fence renovation and we'd encourage you to let us know if you need any assistance or would like to share it with us. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration within the community as our wonderful members are contributing their own projects here every day.

Mitchell

kate_melb
Just Starting Out

Hi I would love to know where you got the planter boxes and how the plants are going

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @kate_melb. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Let me mention @KingStreetReno to see if they can update us on their project. You might also like take a look at our available trough planters to find a similar pot to what they have used.

We look forward to hearing about the projects around your own house and garden and would encourage you to let us know anytime you need assistance or had something to share. I trust you'll find plenty of inspiration within the community as our creative members are contributing their projects here all the time.

Mitchell

Hi @kate_melb,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. I hope Mitch's link to trough planters was useful. Please let us know if you need anything further for your own backyard. We'd love to assist.

Jason

Maliska
Just Starting Out

Hi there what colour is the paint you used for the fence? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Maliska. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

@KingStreetReno mentions that they used the colour Domino from the Dulux range. It's a nice bold colour choice and covers aged fencing quite well. You might like to read through this discussion on choosing between Dulux Monument or Domino. Another option would be Ironstone that @Jason used on his backyard fence makeover. For more fence related inspiration, by sure to check out our Top 10 most popular fence projects

Are you considering a fence makeover? We'd love to following along with your project and would encourage you to let us know if you need any assistance or would like to share it with the community.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects