Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fence makeover

KingStreetReno
Making a Splash

Fence makeover

We have been slowly transforming our 'backyard' AKA courtyard since moving into our Victorian inner city home. 

The previous owners kindly left us a cheap and nasty shed which was located in the left hand corner of the space (I forgot to take a before pic, but the you can see the discolouration in the fence where is was originally located).

Three sides of the neighbouring fence are in ok condition - apart from one section which is literally crumbling. We have decided to leave this for now until phase 2 of the make-over (which will involve sorting out drainage problems etc).

Phase 1 of our make-over was to remove the shed and to spray paint the fence. We bought a spray gun which cut down the painting by hours and painted it in Dulux Domino - a dark grey with cool undertones.

The first coat took us around 1 hour in prep time using Cabot's Deck Clean plus 2 hours to spray paint. 

The following day my husband painted the second coat in just 1 hour! He watered down the paint a little more for the second coat which worked a treat.

I cannot rave about using a spray gun enough...it saved us hours and hours of paint time and there was practically no mess to clean up. Just ensure that you soak the spray gun afterwards to ensure it doesn't get clogged! 

AFTER: 

After 3.JPG

After 2.JPG

BEFORE:

Before 1.jpg

Before 2.jpg

AndreaNg
Having an Impact

Re: Fence makeover

Wow, that looks great. I love the colour - it makes the greenery really pop.

Thanks - I found lots of inspiration on Pinterest! :smile:

This makeover is one of the top 10 fence projects on Workshop. Check out the rest here - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Best-of-Workshop/Top-10-most-popular-fence-projects/ba-p/32233

And feel free to ask any questions about your own fence project. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mosmanbilby
Just Starting Out

Hi, looks great! Do you remember what colour the paint was you used please?

Hi @mosmanbilby,

Welcome to Workshop. It's great to have you join us and we look forward to reading all about your own projects and plans.

@KingStreetReno mentioned above that the colour used was the extremely popular Dulux Domino. Hope that helps. 

Feel free to post whenever you need a hand with anything around the house and garden. We have loads of members sharing project inspiration and helpful advice every day.

Jason

wannabehandygur
Finding My Feet

Hello I just wanted to ask how you didn’t spray other areas around with the paint! Did you use drop sheets? What about the tops of the fence and not getting the paint in the neighbours ?? I’m so paranoid about spray painting but soooo want to do it. 

Hi @wannabehandygur,

A very warm welcome to the Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us and I trust you'll get loads of helpful advice and inspiration for your projects around the house and garden from our absolutely amazing community members. 

Have no fear about spray painting, it really is very easy. The topic of ensuring that you don't spray anything you don't want to recently popped up on this Fence makeover discussion and there was some great suggestions offered. I'll also pop a video below that might also help give you confidence to jump right in. 

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand with anything.

Jason

Hi Jason, Thankyou for welcoming me to the group and for the information and video you posted for me. I will look into prices and colours etc. I think this will be my next project. 

Dixiebell
Finding My Feet

Great effect! Love it.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects