Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fence makeover for the pool area

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Fence makeover for the pool area

Unsurprisingly, I'm not a fan of colourbond fencing, and particularly not the cream colour the estate decided to go with.

Again unsurprisingly, given my love for timber, I thought "Why don't we just cover it in wood?!?". So off I went to my friend's timber mill (a 7hr round trip) to pick up 800kg of freshly cut Marri wood. (I've painted the remainder of the fence shale grey which I'm much happier with)

I framed it with treated pine and staggered the rough sawn Marri across the lot for a rustic and 'cosy' effect.

Took an average of 4mins to file the rough edges and oil each piece of wood and there are over 100 pieces in the project. Add to that the time to frame and fix the pieces to the frame (particularly hard with slightly mishapen wood (rustic)) and deal with the Perth heat lately, it was a BIG project - but we're stoked with the end product.

BEFORE
pool.jpg

DURING
poolfence1.jpg

AFTER (excuse the pool cover and noodles)

ffence4.jpgfence.jpgfence1.jpg

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
tgunning
Getting Established

Re: Fence makeover for the pool area

Brilliant, thanks Jason

Can’t wait to see it!

Muz
Getting Established

Wow......

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for joining in the discussion on Workshop @Muz. We're really pleased to have you join us and trust you'll get loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration for your projects from our clever and creative members. 

Feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have something to share. And please let me know if you need assistance getting the most from the site. 

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

@ProjectPete   I'm mad about timber, so love what you did with this fence.. Awesome.  

Old gal

NeelamM
Finding My Feet

Hi @ProjectPete, Great job! My partner has bought the bamboo herringbone screens off Bunnings. We bought treated pine to drill into our colour bond as the first step but we can't seem to drill the treated pine into the colorbond. Do you know what the issue may be/the right screws to purchase? 

Thanks! 

You should fix your 70x35 treated pine frame to the top and bottom rails with these screws. You'll probably struggle to do it with a drill driver. Impact driver is best or a hammer drill should do.

And you need to clamp the timber to the Colorbond as close to your drilling point as possible because once the screw penetrates the timber and begins drilling into the steel it'll have resistance and will push the timber off the fence.

Hope this helps.

20200921_185946.jpg

20200921_185952.jpg

----------
Handy and helpful

Maybe you can answer a question for me - we’ve been told that our pool has to be at least 3m away from the house but this one doesn’t look like it is?

Hi @Julieg9426,

Let me mention @ProjectPete, so he is alerted to your question. I'll be interested in hearing his thoughts as my mother wants to install a pool that will be quite close to her house.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Few factors affecting offset @Julieg9426 including depth of pool, soil type/conditions and even council.

To dig/install closer to house/walls/boundaries you can use 

CGI (Chemical Grout Injection) along the house/wall/boundary to reinforce the earth for digging. Also get engineer certification.

Hope this helps.

----------
Handy and helpful

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects