Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Discouraging tagging

MichaelJ
Just Starting Out

Discouraging tagging

1280px-Tag_in_Malmö.jpg

Hi everyone,

We have a laneway beside our house and our fence has started to get tagged. Just looking for advice on what might best deter the graffiti.

Should I paint over it as soon as possible, or will they just keep coming back to mark their territory? Or should I see if I can somehow get a local artist to paint a mural - would that be more respected? 

Thanks!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Discouraging tagging

@MichaelJ,

Welcome to Workshop. It's great to have you join us. I look forward to reading about your projects and plans. 

Sorry to read of your graffiti problem. I'm sure there will be others who have had a similar problem and have some suggestions and advice for you.

Please let me know if you need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Deanna
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @MichaelJ

Our local Vinnes was always getting tagged, and they decided to paint a mural on the building and so far so good.  Their reasoning was it was less likely to get tagged if it no longer had the "blank canvas" look 

Vinnes.jpg

Vinnies 2.jpg

Haydn
Just Starting Out

I stopped my tagger by putting a BLACK "X" over their work,
then a week later overpaint.

Another way but expensive is get anti grafitti paint.

They always like to show their friends "their Tag"

Joker
Having an Impact

I would keep painting over it. They will get the message and go elsewhere. 

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Yeah, I'm not sure the average tagger respects murals either. City laneways suggest not. I would paint over as quickly as possible because these peanuts like seeing their name everywhere. Keep getting rid of it and I imagine they are likely to go elsewhere for their kicks. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects