Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Decking revamp

Nikkaz
Making a Splash

Decking revamp

My darling husband revamped our deck over the weekend. He hired the Deck Sander from the Hire Shop @ Bunnings and got stuck into it.

180grit sandpaper

Lots of love and sweat

Cabots Deck Clean 

Cabots Natural Deck Stain 

Bunnings Sander from the Hire Shop

Twice over with the sander and 3 coats of Liquid Goodness to restore and rejuvenate the decks! 

20200126_100601.jpg

20200126_100610.jpg

20200127_093359.jpg

  

20200127_093355.jpg

20200127_093351.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Decking Revamp

It's come up beautifully @Nikkaz. Congrats. Reminds me of my own deck renewal project. Very satisfying! 

Got any tips for using the sander from the hire shop that you can share?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

Re: Decking revamp

@Nikkaz Amazing, what a world of difference that made!! I would also love to hear some tips, I could share with customers when hiring the deck sander. Cheers.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Hey!

Biggest tip is buy more Sandpaper than what you think you need. He went over the Deck 3 times and used 3 sheets of sandpaper. 

Make sure you purchase a new pad for the bottom of the machine, even if the one the customer before you used. You will have trouble with the sanding paper sticking if you don't. 

Other that that, really easy to use. 

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@Nikkaz Great tips, you can even return the un-used sanding paper if you don't need it!

You may have taught me something as well, are you saying you purchased the pad that goes between the sanding sheets and machine?

If so that would explain why some of my customers have said they have had trouble getting the paper to stick to the pad.

I do not believe we actually sell that pad at my store, I will look into this as they wear out and should be there to buy if they are a consumable.

Thanks for that!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Hey @MitchellM,

Yes! When you hire the sander, you should purchase a new pad that sits between the machine and the sanding pads. 

The sand paper can loose its adhesive quite quickly so if you're trying to attach it to a pad thats already been used previously its even harder.

You should also buy a dust bag, make sure its the right one too. 

Overall, a great machine!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects