Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Decking/ painting advise for frontyard merbau wood

salx
Just Starting Out

Decking/ painting advise for frontyard merbau wood

I have merbau edging on the frontyard lawn that boxes a 10 by 12.5 ft artificial turf. It's been installed over 6 months ago and have been weathered by the elements. I plan to apply a Cabot Deck clean   (https://www.bunnings.com.au/cabot-s-1l-deck-clean_p1521451)

Once dried, plan to apply Cabot Aquadeck (https://www.bunnings.com.au/cabot-s-aquadeck-merbau-exterior-decking-oil-4l_p1520084). Will this improve the look and longevity of my frontyard? Also the area should be around 180 sqft.  So will 3 litre of deck clean and Aquadeck decking oil be enough? Please share any more feedback on my idea.

IMG_20191230_084030.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: decking/ painting advise for frontyard merbau wood

Hi @salx,

Welcome to Workshop and apologies for the slow reply. I'm sure our ever-helpful members like @ProjectPete and @redracer01 will be happy to provide some advice and suggestions to you. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand with a project around the house and garden.

Just to clarify, are you only planning to stain the edging next to the artificial turf or the whole retaining wall?

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Re: Decking/ painting advise for frontyard merbau wood

The deck clean goes a long way as you dilute it so one litre should be more than enough. And I'd buy the 4L tin of the oil as you'll need to reapply regularly and it's much better value than buying in smaller quantities.  

Re: Decking/ painting advise for frontyard merbau wood

Agree with @MartyH on the quantities. Reapply after 6 months, then once every 12months thereon and you should keep a beautiful looking timber edging.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Re: decking/ painting advise for frontyard merbau wood

Hi, we have merbau landscape installed on the front of my house 2 months back. We have coated Cabot's natural deck oil. However we are  not satisfied with the result. Could you please suggest a product for glossy or shiny finish for my merbau landscape and steps to do it? We get 6 hrs sunlight on front yard  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects