Workshop
Start a discussion

The Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Deck renewal project

Community Manager Jason
Community Manager

Re: Deck renewal project

It's exciting that this weekend is the start of Spring and the warmer weather is on its way. Anyone need to tackle their outdoor entertaining area? Let us know if you need a hand with anything.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
gippslandhome
Super Contributor

@Jason I was just wondering if you actually hire yourself out in the weekend for a side jobπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜Š

Only joking. Thank you for Sharing your photos and methods of sanding .

I absolutely love the finished product and wow what an effort you put in to achieve it .

I really appreciate that you mentioned the grit sandpaper you used as I have always struggled remembering how it all works.

Anyway thanks again for sharing an awesome job and well done...

Kind regards Rob πŸ‘

rattle
Junior Contributor

I'm currently trying to source free pallets and once I have them, I'm going to have a crack at making an outdoor deck with them, which will include a fire pit and planter boxes.
I'm in the country, so not many places to source free pallets, but working on it.

Pretty exited about this project as I've never done anything like this before.
gippslandhome
Super Contributor

Welcome to the community @rattle .

Sounds like an interesting project. I'm sure everyone would love to see how you progress through the job.

In regards to getting pallets I'm not sure where you are country wise but try your local Bunnings. I'm not sure what they do with their pallets.

The other option is try Gumtree. I know localy we can get alot for free, or try any of your local trucking and transport companies, most of the time they are happy to give them away.

Looking for to see your project move along.

Kind regards Rob πŸ‘

Community Manager Jason
Community Manager

Hi @rattle,

Have you seen our long-running D.I.Y. pallet discussion? It has some great ideas plus plenty of handy hints and tips for obtaining pallets and working with them.

You might also get some great inspiration from our Top 10 most popular pallet projects. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ProjectPete
Trusted Contributor

I do have decking to do around my pool area once it come sup the priority list. I'm also going to do some decking in the frontyard as I'm starting on that shortly - brick/render letterbox and garden beds, succulents, steppers, decking and other features. Plenty to do :smile:

----------
Handy and helpful
Insta @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @homeprojectco
rattle
Junior Contributor

Thanks for the replies @gippslandhome and @Jason.
Finding pallets has been hard as the rural business out here either reuse them or have returnable ones like Chep.
Have tried a couple of Bunnings, but they are either an hour or 90 minutes away and had nothing each time I went. Nothing on Gumtree this far out either.
I'm in Northern Vic.

All good though, I have time on my side, so I'll just keep an eye out when I go to the bigger towns every month or so.
Impressed with some of the decks (among other things) built by members here. Really does inspire you.
Highlighted
gippslandhome
Super Contributor

I'm really glad you are finding some inspiration from the community @rattle .

If you PM me the town you live in I will keep an eye out for some free pallets for you.

But until then enjoy the community. You will find that the members are so friendly and willing to help.

Kind regards Rob πŸ‘

Why join the Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects