Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Deck over brick patio

deanclarke12
Just Starting Out

Deck over brick patio

Reaching out to network. I have a brick patio 7000L x 4500mm W
Looking to install a deck over the top. Has anyone rendered a brick patio? Or would my option be better to pull out everything and install deck with footings concreted. Probably the most costly exercise. Can I get away with just rendering the bricks and laying a raised Steel subframe then install deck.  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: deck over brick patio

Welcome to the Workshop community @deanclarke12. Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to assist.

Would a compromise between the two be removing enough bricks to dig and install a footer in specific locations? I'm not sure there is a need to remove all of them to do so. Do you have any specific concerns with installing the deck directly onto the brick? Has there already been a subsidence of them? You could use pavers to spread the weight over several bricks, in each location, if you are concerned about individual bricks bearing weight.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell that’s actually a good idea. I will look into that. I’m not concerned about weight. Ideally I’d like to just render over the brick with concrete and then have a steel sub frame with small spacers to keep the frame off the ground. 
looking for the most cost effective way to install.  I welcome any more suggestions or experience.

@deanclarke12,

Is there any particular reason why you need to render over the brick? Is it because you'll see it on the sides of the deck?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

For water in the future that would wash away sand foundation. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects