Workshop
Ask a question

New Ekodeck decking project

Trying
Making a Splash

New Ekodeck decking project

TryingDeck.JPG

Hi people,

I'm about to build a new deck approx. 5 mts x 2.5 mts attached to my "she-shed".

I'm loving the idea of low maintenance 10 yr warranty product called 'ekodeck'.

I used to be a diehard timber girl but I'm asking if anyone has used this product as I'd like to get some feedback before I choose materials.

With thanks.

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Re: Deck me please !

The no oiling or painting is definitely a strong hook. But I also love the look of real timber. Personally I would embrace the fact that it's not "real timber" and therefore go with a bold colour rather than trying to go for a timber look. I like the first option here - Greystone - it looks great...

Ekodeck_Greystone_LR.jpgEkodeck.jpgEkodeck1.jpg

Hey Isobel, thanks for your comments - I do love the look of those grey boards but I must stay with the 'timber' colours to match up with the tones of the 'she-shed'. I think 'she' will like that better than the grey tones,especially when the large pots I have already painted a rich terracota colour are in place. I do like your eye for strong colours,so hope you won't mind if I seek your advice again some time. Cheers. Trying.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Trying

G'day kid

Love your thread title, & your sense of humour. : )

Now for some serious advice from a bloke who's been there, so listen up. *waves finger

If you like the grey, go with the grey & don't let "she" rule your life. You give in now, & "she" will walk all over you forever.

You can take a softer approach on your large pots, just grow cascading thingsy in 'em.

Hope this helps

John

Hey Andy Mann, hilarious!! The lattice around the base of the 'she-shed' (cabin) was finished yesterday so now 'she' has her skirts back on and looks mighty fine. Her colours are cream and (dare I say it) mission brown so you see why those beautiful grey boards won't make either of us happy.But thank you for your help. Cheers

Trying
Making a Splash

Re : Deck me please

Spring is almost here and happy me !! Today we started digging the holes for the foundations of my new deck ! For any that may be interested I decided to go with 'Ecodeck plus' composite boards using the hidden fastening profile system Quickfix. My earlier enquiry couldn't find anyone who had used this system before amongst Workshoppers. If anyone has experience with the system now, I'd love to hear from you. I really am a timber girl, but I'm  thinking of the maintenance factor and I must say - the boards I've chosen (red rock ) look mighty fine. Can't wait, so excited! Unfortunately from here on in I'll only be supervising. Cheers

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Re: Re : Deck me please

@Trying, lucky lucky you, the reason I couldn't shine any light on our Ecodecking experience, is because we can't afford it. :wink:

Be sure to post pics of your lackies sweating it, a selfie you watching on your deck chair, & the finished product.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good luck with the project @Trying. I'm looking forward to seeing progress shots, and the final result.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Baz
Growing in Experience

I will also be keen to see it. The idea of a deck that doesn't need regular oiling sounds very appealing. I am about to go through the process of sanding mine back before oiling again which is going to be a big job.

Henno
Having an Impact

Hi guys, I'm just about to go crazy and spend a kazillion dollars on stuff called Millboard. Our reno/money pit down the coast is getting two new decks adding up to about 60sqm and we want to relax on the deck, not have to maintain it.
This stuff looks like old decking, but comes in other styles and colours as well, has all the qualities of plastic (yeah, I said it). It is recyclable, which makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, and it is a composite which means it hasn't been sourced from some rainforest. It also has this nifty system of screws which disappear under the decking as the plastic closes over it when inserted into the deck.
Anyway, let's cut the good vibes back to a minimum and enjoy those well-earned frothy beverages overlooking the beach.
Millboard here I come!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects