Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY alternative for base to a garden shed

stuart22
Finding My Feet

DIY alternative for base to a garden shed

Looking for alternatives to a concrete slab for a base to a 3m x 3m metal garden shed.

Location makes it difficult to get pre mixed concrete or raw materials to mix concrete delivered to site.

Pre packaged timber  packs for bases seem to come heavily priced.

I am thinking of constructing floor framing out of treated pine (sleeper timbers??) and using a Hardies cement sheet as flooring.

Has anyone got experience in doing this? Would like to here thoughts on pros and cons on building this sort of structure.

Conventional framing: Has anyone got ideas on timber sizes required, required spacing of supports to bearers. etc.

To keep structure as low as possible, I was hoping to have bearers and joists in same plane . 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: DIY alternative for base to a garden shed

Hi @stuart22,

Welcome to Workshop. We're pleased to have you join us and trust that you'll receive loads of helpful advice and inspiration for your home improvement projects from our clever and creative members.

I'm sure members will be able to assist with your shed flooring project. You might like to start with these previous posts for inspiration and information:

Hope that helps get you started.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Formply is a cheap option, pavers are a cheap option with some good bedding sand, or make a base frame and then put some merbau or treated pine down,

Thanks Salty. Like the formply idea. What did you think about using treated sleepers as a base?

Thought of the pavers idea, but was concerned over laying these level enough to get a whether tight junction with base of the shed.

@stuart22 

I have formply as a base on a donkey stable and my chook coops, with sleepers underneath, bedding sand base laid the sleepers in and formply batton on top of that, been going strong fro 2 years now, works a treat :smile: 
so yeah

Hi @stuart22
I'm doing a similar project and may be using hardwood pellets on a flat base and then screwing in yellow young.

I'm making mine 100mm larger than the shed for ease of placement.

The good thing about using hardwood pallets and yellow tongue is that if you should move you can disassemble and take to your new place.

Thanks for ur comments. 

I chose to use pavers in the end for the following reasons. 

Much cheaper than paying $800 a day labor for 2 guys to lay conc. 

Decided base needs to be level to reduce rain water getting under shed walls. 

Pavers were easier and heavier to anchor shed down too. 

As you say, Can relocate base if need to move shed. 

Good luck with ur project. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects