Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. mirror tinted window

prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

D.I.Y. mirror tinted window

So hubby and I decided to try out the mirror tinted window film from Bunnings. We are super impressed! We got 2 big windows done the same size as this one for less than $100, plus we had a heap left over - we only used about half of the roll. 

As per the Bunnings video tutorial we put water in a spray bottle with a couple drops of baby shampoo and sprayed that on the window before applying the tint. It worked a treat! Very happy with the results!

AAB02542-4112-41F3-A938-D5E48AD6BD0E.jpeg

101D5BEA-348A-42DA-AE74-E1C10E496AA8.jpeg

992268D8-BF33-4AED-ABE6-82BD86872A18.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY Mirror Tinted Window

Hi @prettyliving.

Great project! I'd be interested to know a few details. How long did it take to complete the windows? Was this for privacy or heat or both? Did you cut to size prior to placing or was it trimmed once applied?

Many thanks for sharing as I'm sure it will inspire other members to give it a go as well.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks! @MitchellMc 

So this is the first window we did and I would say all up it took us around 3 hours to do all 6 sections. But in saying that it took us a little bit to get the hang off it at the start, we found that we weren’t spraying enough water on it at first so it was hard to work with, whereas when we sprayed more water on it was a lot easier to get all the little air bubbles out as we smooth it out. We measured each window and the cut a piece to have roughly 2cm overhang on each side. Once we put it up, had every bubble out then we ran Stanley knife just above the seal of the window. It defiantly requires patience and also we really took our time to get it perfect - one of us stood on the outside to check for any bubbles as sometimes it’s hard to see them from the inside. 

@MitchellMc Oh and we mainly did it for privacy so that we could leave the curtains open during the day but it also really takes out the glare of the sunlight now too which was a bonus 👍🏻

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects