Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. Dog Kennel

aly
Making a Splash

D.I.Y. Dog Kennel

Hi All,

I thought I’d share a DIY dog kennel project we did some years ago.

Discovering how expensive large dog kennels are and realising many of the necessary materials to build our own were readily available, we decided to make a kennel for our family pup.

We grabbed an old wooden fruit bin off our farm which proved perfect for the base and frame of the kennel. We simply cut a rectangular door on one of the side panels keeping in mind how much our pup would grow and the space he’d need to easily enter and exit. Next, we nailed down some old carpet offcuts to the floor of the bin to provide some warmth in the winter months. Knowing too well that dogs love to chew, we opted for this addition rather than relying on a foam bed which would most likely get torn up! We then fixed some old sheet iron onto the top of the bin for roofing.

Here’s a picture of our kennel...

Dog Ken

Would love to hear about other pet related projects!

Kim
Having an Impact

Re: DIY Dog Kennel

What a great idea @aly.  We've done something similar for our dogs previously, too. One thing that good, proper dog kennels do is insulate - those igloo style dog kennels are great like that.  

The other important thing if you are considering a D.I.Y. dog kennel is to ensure you add a barrier or screen infront of the kennel entry so that the wind and rain can't get into the kennel.

Do that and pooch should be happy!

kaylah_rose
Making a Splash

@aly - great idea. 

We are almost ready to get our first dog, and you are right dog kennels (actually many things pet related) are super expensive, so seeing your post is great! 

I really want to have a go at making a wine barrel kennel. I think it is a really neat idea and looks cosy and comfy for our pup. 

wine-barrel.jpg

Love it @kaylah_rose! I've seen quite a few of the metal drum kennels but hadn't seen a wine barrel one - looks fanastic, bit more character than the metal drums.

aly
Making a Splash

I've also seen online quite a few of the pallet/skid pet beds like that in the image below. They look great and are a nice item for particularly inside pets.

Pallet Dog Bed

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Wine barrels have so many great uses. 

I like this one - turning a barrel into a retro arcade machine.

wine-barrel-arcade-cabinet-14.jpg

aly
Making a Splash

They're even good for garden beds @Kermit! We cut down a few metal drums for garden beds and they've worked a treat. The wooden ones would look much better but we came across some free metal drums so ran with them!

Joker
Having an Impact

Been thinking about a project like this. Have collected some inspiration images...

94514dc4b390a8ee9ac2fdb69212cafe.jpgcool-outdoor-dog-house.pngdog-house.jpgDog-House_LR-624x468.jpgmaxresdefault.jpgba7f4e8962117bfaa5f8cebc4bd322a4.jpg

SeaniusG
Getting Established

So practical and inexpensive. Dog kennels and dog bedding are extremely expensive and poorly made. You know this will last years and your dog will love it!!

I did my dogs new homes and indoor beds when I did my fencing and used fencing palings. Worked out much better than what you can buy.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks @SeaniusG. Have you built your own kennel? It would be great to see a photo if you have. 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. It's great to have you join the community. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your posts soon. You might like to start by introducing yourself to the community.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects