Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Creaking decking

winnie77
Finding My Feet

Creaking decking

I've just built a deck using plywood base, marine plywood & wooden tiles. Is there any remedy for eliminating the creaking noise when I walk on it?
Many thanks.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Creaking decking

Welcome to Workshop @winnie77. I hope you find the community useful for learning and sharing. I also hope someone from the community can promptly assist with your deck. You might like to show some photos of your handiwork.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jackson
Making a Splash

Hey @winnie77, are your boards secured down with screws or nails? Generally, a creaking sound is the sign of loose boards. If you can work out which board is creaking, try fastening it with some more nails or by tightening the screws. 

Thank you Jackson, I've used screws to secure the boards down. I will try using some more when I get the chance.
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Your deck sounds very unusual. Could you please post a photo? 

Decking.jpg

So the base is concrete with the pre made joist from Bunnings topped with marine plywood and topped off with connecting tiles. I hope this helps Kermit.

Hi @winnie77, I've never used decking tiles myself but from what I understand they really need to be on a solid, flat surface. I'd imagine it's going to be pretty hard to eliminate the creaking sound altogether as it will probably remain wherever there is a tile that's not completely supported underneath. With that being said, I hope you can find a solution!

Thank you Jackson. I'm thinking that I may need to insert more joists underneath and screw them in to eliminate the worse of the noise where it comes from.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects