Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Cracking in stone pool copers

Joker
Having an Impact

Cracking in stone pool copers

We've had large cracks develop in one of our corner pool copers since the stone was laid about 12 months ago. And in a couple of others the mortar has cracked and/or fallen out from movement. After we complained, the paver that we hired said six months ago that he would order a replacement corner coper and chaulk the gaps. We're still waiting for him to return... Is there a body that I can complain to about the quality of the paver's work? Really keen to get the problems rectified and don't feel I should have to pay someone else to fix them...

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Re: Cracking in stone pool copers

@Joker
Firstly you will need to identify what's caused the cracking
Generally they are flexural or tensile cracks or poor compaction,etc,etc
Is your pool concrete or fiberglass?
Please provide more info and photos to help others as it's a common fault
Unfortunately, If it hasn't been done properly
then, you can complain to Fair Trading
Balance, for what it's worth/stress/delays...(PITA)... if its an easy fix you might consider fixing it yourself?

Thanks. It's a fibreglass pool. I took these six months back when I reported the issue to the paver - they are bigger now and there's a few others now that aren't corner copers where the mortar is cracked and/or falling out.

crack1.jpgcrack2.jpg

Joker
Having an Impact

Update: finally got the paver back! Maybe complaining here helped! 

He replaced the cracked coper and removed all the cracked grout, replacing it with flexible chaulking. Hopefully that's durable in the long run...

Now I just need to give the whole area a decent clean. Any suggestions for the best approach to cleaning? I'm finding the grout gets a little grubby and the pressure washer didn't completely clean it. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects