Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Composite Decking

EmmaBourke
Getting Established

Composite Decking

Hi All,

I am currently in the process of planning my deck and would like to know what peoples opinions are on compsite decking. What brand did you use? Pros, Cons ect..

Thanks

Emma

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Composite Decking

Welcome to Workshop @EmmaBourke. It's great to have you join the community. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your deck plans. It sounds like a great project.

I'm sure Workshop members will be keen to share their advice and experience with you.

You might also be interested in this recent discussion: Deck me please. Workshop member @Trying has recently started a project using Ekodeck, and others have shared their thoughts in the thread.

Thanks for joining in the discussion.

Jason 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mfree
Cultivating a Following

Hi Emma
I put together a very large deck and re-stained it after a few years but the look just continued to degrade over time. If I built another deck I would lean toward composite decking as it will look new after ten years and you never have to oil/stain it. Obviously care and maintenance goes with every deck but I think the extra cost would justify the grin on your face when you don't have to oil it every couple of years and try to make it look new again. Good luck!
Trying
Making a Splash

Hi @EmmaBourke-I've almost finished having my new deck installed using Ekodeck. Bit too early to give you an opinion on certain aspects of this composite product yet, but I CAN say it looks beautiful. Easy to install too. I've easily removed lots of bird poo ( I'm by the river under the gums - bird city!) with a sloppy sponge so no drama there, and if it lives up to the claims re no maintenance etc...,I'll be one happy customer. I'm using the same product as screening around the deck too. It looks good,but the downside is the cost. Expensive to start, yes. But I'm hoping to save on the "no maintenance" aspect. Posting some photos for you,but any questions you may have-I'm happy to help. Cheers

Trying
Making a Splash

DSCN0248.JPG

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Hi @EmmaBourke, I highly recommend that you heed the hard learnt lesson of @mfree, & follow in the footsteps of our beloved @Trying.

I believe that wood is beautiful, but I've learnt my lesson after making a stunning wooden deck, only to have it devoured by our very appreciative local termites. The positive, is that I didn't have to go through the drudgery of oiling, or staining it.

Visually, oiling wood darkens it, despite what salespersons may tell you. It also needs to be reapplied every 6 to 8 months, which borders on impossible. Not a problem mid-Summer, but try picking a day 6 to 8 months away, that won't have your new application washed away in the next 24 hours. I kept up the regime for years on our Western Red Cedar fence, but after a couple treatment being washed away with unexpected rains, I gave up in frustration. Our prized wooden structure, then weathered worse than Keith Richards, of the Rolling Stones.

The composite decking will definitely cost you more initially, but the long-term benefits over shadow it in terms of peace of mind, & convenience. If I had my time over again, I'd use composite materials, no doubt about it.

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Looks great @Trying. How does it feel underfeet?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for sharing @Trying. Looking forward to seeing the finished results.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Baz
Growing in Experience

Looks good. Definitely like the sound of a maintenance-free deck.

Will update you @Kermit when the weather here improves. Unfortunately my beautiful river is currently 93 metres above sea level and SES says evacuation may be required.  Hope not, but maybe I should have built a pontoon under the she-shed and new deck. Still raining so stay safe everybody. Cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects