Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Coffee and BBQ? Sure it works together

MoonshineBen
Making a Splash

Coffee and BBQ? Sure it works together

File-28-08-2016-7-21-31-PM-600x600-1.jpeg

One for all the BBQers - have you ever thought of using ground coffee on your meat before cooking it?

A few weeks ago I released a new coffee rub, which is an amazing combination of earthy and spice tones. As I told some friends about it though, the general response was "Coffee Rub? How does that work?". So what better was to explain that a blog post.

While most BBQ rubs work with most types of protein, coffee rub is paired almost always with beef. Using ground coffee beans does a number things.

First off, coffee brings out more of the savoury flavour in the beef. This can be complemented with any other spices, commonly also containing chilli. We useancho chilli which is a mild pepper that is roasted and ground.

We also add a number of the usual suspects, as well as cumin, and our favourite, smoked paprika.

Secondly, coffee is highly acidic, and using ground beans releases more of that, which when rubbed on the meat helps to tenderise as well.

Coffee is also used to help with the crust (or bark) when cooking low and slow. Some people also add sugar to the rubs, which also aids in  have sugar in them as well to add to the caramelisation, but when we recipe tested

Does it actually pick you up like coffee? Not likely, as the average amount per serve is less than your barista would use in a typical cup of coffee you buy from the shop. And while I am no scientist, you could argue that all of the changes it undergoes through the heat and time means that you're getting flavour rather than a caffeine hit.

It's not just for low and slow either - rub some steaks down and go hot and fast over flame at high temp and it is incredible.

(Original version of this post from the Moonshine BBQ Blog)

Happiness is a full smoker - moonshinebbq.com.au
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Coffee and BBQ? Sure it works together

Many thanks for sharing @MoonshineBen. I certainly hadn't thought of using coffee before.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

I also love smoked paprika. I often use it with beef. 

Hadn't heard of using coffee before though @MoonshineBen. Many thanks for posting this. Interesting that it helps to tendorise the meat. I have some steaks in the fridge. Might give it a go!

I'm a salt (read 'gourmet salt') fanatic and have some amazing Espresso Salt which I use on my steaks a lot. I did a coffee rub a while ago as an experiment and enjoyed it but haven't done much more given the convenience of my Espresso Salt.

You won't get a 'coffee hit' as the level of caffeine in a coffee is determined by the amount of time it's in contact with water - so as you'd agree, that would be extremely minimal when grilling a steak :smile:
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@ProjectPete, you're short circuiting the rubba dub rush if you throw your coffeed up steaks on the grill, you need to go low & slow as is @MoonshineBen's mantra, using indirect heat on your charcoal rig. :wink:

@ProjectPete, I'm intrigued by Espresso Salt - where can I pick some up from?

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@MoonshineBen, I do not recommend importing Colombrian Espresso Salt on any level, the drug squad will be all over you.

Stick with what you do. :cheeky:

@Andy_Mann :hysterical:

Sorry @MoonshineBen - been a bit off the radar lately when it comes to digital things. It's been all about 4x4, woodwork and grilling/smoking - lovin' it!

Anyway, #wifey got me the espresso salt. Enjoy!

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects