Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Cleaning rust stains from pored lime stone driveway

jandavid5
Just Starting Out

Cleaning rust stains from pored lime stone driveway

C2A15C1E-8031-4F71-91BC-9AB2C675CBD6.jpeg

B160FA42-0ACA-4E20-817A-F6DBE85682D5.jpeg

We have rust stains on our pored lime stone driveway.  The stain was caused by iron rich lawn fertilizer.

I have tried acid, vinegar and CLR without success, apart from replacing the driveway can anyone suggest some other remedy.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Cleaning rust stains from pored lime stone driveway

Hi @jandavid5,

Sorry to read of your driveway stains, but I'm sure this is a common problem and our ever-helpful Workshop community members will have some suggestions for you. You might also like to share a photo or two so members can get a better idea of what you are working with. 

Let me tag @MitchellMc who might like to kick off the discussion for you. And while you are waiting for a response, these previous discussions might give you some ideas:

Welcome to Workshop and thanks for joining in the discussion. Good work also on customising your profile picture! That bike looks fabulous and must be your pride and joy.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cleaning rust stains from pored lime stone driveway

Welcome to the Workshop community @jandavid5. Thanks for your question, I'd be happy to provide some other options.

The Calcium Lime Rust Remover may need several applications for you to notice a difference. I would advise pouring it on the marked areas, waiting 20 minutes and then washing the product off with water. Repeat this process five times or until you are satisfied with the result.

If there is no success with CLR, you could try Chemtech- Rust Off Remover, Diggers Rust And Stain Cleaner or Bondall Ranex Rustbuster Rust Converter. All these products require a test section to be done first, as they can discolour some driveway surfaces. Please also see the specific manufacturer safety instructions on the packaging.

A stiff bristle scrubbing brush will assist these products in removing the stain.

If you need further assistance with any of these products or have other questions, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects