Workshop
Start a discussion

The Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Chicken Nesting Box

Highlighted
Wayne
Super Contributor

Chicken Nesting Box

Hens Nest 6.jpgA friend asked if I could make a chicken nesting box for her two backyard chickens, here is the result.
I planed up some pallet boards to equal thickness and made the framework using pocket hole screw joints.
Hens Nest 1.jpg
Then glued and brad nailed the back panels using a couple MDF pieces cut to size for the spacing of the middle frames.
Hens Nest 2.jpgHens Nest 3.jpg
I had a Plywood crate that was being thrown away at work so I cut that up to be the internal lining of the nesting boxes.
Hens Nest 4.jpg
I glued and brad nailed tose in place then continued on with the outer cladding.
Hens Nest 5.jpg
I finished the back then the floor and a couple strips on the front, she had supplied some plastic trays that she will place in each position.
Hens Nest 8.jpg
The side/end cladding was supposed to go full width but I accidentally cut the boards too small so I decided to cut them smaller and glue them inside the outer frame (some were even the correct width, lol)
Hens Nest 7.jpgHens Nest 6.jpg
And voila one finished Chicken Nesting Box. (I will fill the nail holes with beeswax and she will apply a varnish finish)

Wood Working with Wayne
Community Manager Jason
Community Manager

Re: Chicken Nesting Box

Looks fantastic @Wayne. Many thanks for sharing. As always, I'm sure your terrific work will inspire other members.

Jason

Show off your handiwork at the Workshop Gallery

Why join the Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects