Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you patch render?

Barker
Cultivating a Following

Can you patch render?

I was looking at the render on the side of the house over the weekend and thinking that it might be time to do something about it. Its an extension done in blueboard and the render has cracked on all of the blueboard joins. Do you think there is any way we can patch it or do we have to go the expensive route and pull off all the blueboard off the house and clad it again?

render.JPG

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Re: Can you patch render?

Looks like there wasn't allowance for the boards to move. The reasonably dark render colour probably doesn't help with the movement - especially if they cop plenty of sun. I think you would have to pull them all off and start again. I wouldn't use blueboard but something like Scyon. Can look great.

Scyon_Matrix_Brick_Vertical_Brick_Pattern_Layout.jpg

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I would try scratching the loose stuff out and filling the cracks with no more gaps or a similar flexible filler and going over the lot with a textured paint using a roller.
AHoy
Having an Impact

I don't really understand why people render - the darker colours often seem to crack and the lighter colours attract dirt and grime. I think weatherboards or brick are far preferable. 

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I think there has been some good merketing with before and after shots of just how good it looks new with no mention of what you have a few years latter.

At home the old unused wall airconditioner survives because it is a pain trying to match 1950's bricks if it came out, also had a similar problem with the meter box and the eventual fix was a new box inside the old one to avoid moving it and leaving a hole to be patched.

Barker
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for the replies, I'll keep investigating.

Barker
Cultivating a Following

I asked a builder about this recently and he recommended pulling it all down and replacing it. 

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

That may be like asking a hairdresser if you need a haircut...

Barker
Cultivating a Following

:bigsmile:

It was a family friend so I trust his advice @Brad. Agree with the sentiment though!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects