Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you go it alone with a fence?

AndreaNg
Having an Impact

Can you go it alone with a fence?

We want to replace our side fence with something higher and more attractive. But we have a rental property next door that’s not in great shape so we imagine the landlord isn’t going to want to invest in a new fence, or will want the cheapest option. If we are willing to just wear the full cost of replacing the fence, is it OK just to go ahead and do it? Of course we will let them know but want to choose something that looks good.

Shane
Having an Impact

Re: Can you go it alone with a fence?

Definitely talk to them first. You never know, they might be happy to go halves in whatever you prefer. They might be planning to sell in the near future and see it as an investment. Whatever you do you are going to need to consult them. 

I tend to agree with @Shane. Not consulting them might just lead to further headaches down the line. Worst case scenario, they don't offer any money towards it and you're no worse off than if you'd not consulted them and gone it alone.

AndreaNg
Having an Impact

Another fence question. Can you put a gate in your back fence? We don't have neighbours at the back - the property backs onto parkland. It would be good to have easier access than walking around the block. 

I often see gates on properties backing onto parks. I would just check with the council first but doubt it would be a problem as long as it is locked.

100% talk to your neighbours @AndreaNg, try sell it to them as an investment, even if they only contribute 25% for example. But given you're happy to pay it all, you've got nothing to lose.

If you pay for the whole thing, I dare say they'll expect you to pay 100% for any required repairs which mightn't be ideal. Some insurance companies have weird ways of getting out of paying fence claims so it'd be worth looking into that first too - especially given it's a rental next door where the tenants might not give a sh*t about your fence.

Gates in fences - usually not an issue but you do need to talk to council. They take into consideration the security and safety and you may require certain locks/self closing/height if you're near water or a main road for example.
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects