Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I replace this column?

x_casey_x
Just Starting Out

Can I replace this column?

Hello, 

I have this post at the front entrance of my house I’m hoping can be replaced/updated but I have no idea what it is called. Any ideas?

Thank you!

FE2B0DF0-E624-4EE8-A8FA-9197A0AE8282.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can I replace this?

Welcome to the Workshop community @x_casey_x. Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to assist.

The post can certainly be replaced with something more aesthetically suited to the area. However, you will need to have it assessed by a qualified and experienced builder as to whether it is load-bearing. If it is load-bearing then appropriate steps will need to be taken whilst replacing it. 

There are various ways of encapsulating it as to not disturb its load-bearing capacity and would allow it to be a D.I.Y project. One example would be to use 140 x 19mm KD Select Grade Merbau Decking, fixing it on all four sides and boxing it in. You might find those feet (top and bottom) are just aesthetical and can be removed without altering the structural integrity. Another option would be to use fibre cement sheeting and creating a square column that can be rendered over.

If you are looking at replacing the column completely, I would advise getting in touch with someone qualified to complete the job.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Can I replace this?

Thank you so much for your ideas! 
Creating a column around the existing post sounds like one of the easier options that will improve the space. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects