Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Building an outdoor deck

Hisham
Getting Established

Building an outdoor deck

I would like to know if it is a good idea to embark on building a DIY deck. 

I have absolutely no trade experience and would like to know how and where to start. Wouldn't mind working under someone as a trainee in order to learn.

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

Re: building an outdoor deck

@Hisham 

Welcome to the Workshop community and congrats on your first post!

Here's some great inspiration to get your imagination going -  Top 10 most popular deck projects and How to build a deck.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Hisham
Getting Established

Thank you so much Mitchell... really appreciate the links 

... it's amazing how some have done so Well, not having any prior exposure to trade...

I really need to attend a DIY workshop of some sorts in order to make this work 

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@Hisham you are right there is nothing like some hands on experience. However if you can use a drill, cut a piece of timber, measure accurately and are prepared to watch several videos/ask for help on here I believe it is more than possible.

Heck I made this without any prior knowledge/experience in several hours.

IMG_20200104_140718319.jpg

IMG_20200104_140659720.jpg

IMG_20200106_122045296.jpg

You'll find most Bunnings stores focus on Decking DIY sessions around October, however you may find they run a couple of them throughout the year.

You could always call your local store and ask for the Activities Organiser, they'll be able to tell you if one will be held in the near future.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Hisham
Getting Established

You at e legend... thank you so much.... yes I can use a drill and cut timber... but nervous about the measurements and getting infrastructure ready.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Building an outdoor deck

Hi @Hisham,

Welcome to the Workshop community. 

Whereabouts are you based? Perhaps another member who is planning a new decking project might like to use you as an apprentice. 

Great to see you've already receiving some advice and inspiration from Mitchell. I'm sure our ever-helpful members will help build your confidence and skills in no time. Feel free to post anytime you need assistance or have something to share. And please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Hisham
Getting Established

Thanks Jason... I'm liking this community already... so helpful..

I'm in Epping. Yes I would love to be a labourer/apprentice for a home project!!!!!

If someone could advice closer to Epping, that would be great!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Victoria or New South Wales @Hisham?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Hisham
Getting Established

Victoria

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@Hisham Pity it wasn't NSW, i'd be living next to you!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects