Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Building a pergola - what materials and tool are required?

v1cL0rd
Getting Established

Building a pergola - what materials and tool are required?

Hi there,

I am planning to do a pergola similar to this one:

pergola.jpg

The plan is to do it next to the house and all the way to the fence. The area is 6.9mts for length by 3.1mts for width and 2.5mts height. Can somebody help me how much timber would be required?

There are some trees next to the fence but I will remove them. Not sure if I should have 2 or 3 posts along the fence because of the length of 6.9mts.

alfresco01.jpegalfresco02.jpegalfresco03.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Building a pergola - what materials and tool are required?

Hi @v1cL0rd,

Many thanks for your questions and we look forward to assisting you with your pergola. Bunnings has a series of videos about how to build a pergola, which includes building the pergola frame and constructing the roof. Some other Workshop members have already provided some amazing inspiration including a pergola with a built-in mist system by @kelan outdoor entertainment area by @raymao268 and a pergola for the side of the house by @Allan72.

The type of timber needs to be suitable for exterior use. I can advise H3 treated LOSP primed pine for the project if using metal stirrups cemented into the ground. This timber is ready to be painted.

In order to work out how much timber you'll need a decision needs to be made on the spacing of the rafters. The spacing of rafters at 600mm is quite common. The spacing is variable and depends on your preference. It is visually most pleasing if you keep the spacing consistent.

Please let me know if you would like further assistance or had other questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks a lot @MitchellMc for your prompt response and useful advice as always. The distance between rafters can be 600mm and the distance between batons should be 42mm. Based on these decisions, would you be able to tell me how much timber will be required? Also, would be sufficient to have 2 posts or would be better 3 along the 6.9mts? It would be nice to have 2 because I am planning to put an outdoor kitchen along the fence but I do not want to compromise the structure.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @v1cL0rd,

I apologise for the delay in my reply, but I wanted to spend some time working out the details for you. 

I've given lineal meters for the quantities needed as sizes available will be specific to your closest stores stock availability. Generally, LOSP structural primed radiate comes in set lengths and it is worth considering the sizes available for your project. Utilising an approximate lineal meter cost, I've worked out the timber above would be $3926. However, I must stress, this does not take into consideration the available sizes at your local store and wastage on lengths would add to the cost dramatically.

Now that you have the lengths of timber required you can make a decision on whether you would like to substitute materials. The cost of the project could potentially be lowered by exchanging the LOSP structural primed radiate for H3 framing treated pine. The LOSP is a timber ready to be painted and the H3 framing treated pine is a green finish which can be stained.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects