Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bluestone rounds to replace lawn

Kate23
Building a Reputation

Bluestone rounds to replace lawn

For my first post I thought I'd share our current garden project. Our backyard has lots of lovely trees but it gets a lot of shade and we have an energetic dog, so our lawn didn't last. Instead of laying more turf we're now replacing it with bluestone rounds. 

We got a start on the project last weekend but mixing the concrete by hand in a wheelbarrow was slow going. We've now borrowed a small cement mixer which should make things a lot quicker and easier. 

We also realised we should have put a string line down and left it. Some of the first rounds we have laid are a little too low. 

Anyway, I'm happy with how it's coming together and think all the work will be worth it. 

Rounds.jpg

Re: Bluestone rounds to replace lawn

Thank you 

crazycath66
Just Starting Out

Hi

looks really good we have the same problem in our backyard with dogs did you leave the ground prior to laying the stones?

Hi @crazycath66,

Apologies that you didn't get a timely reply to your question during my absence from the community. Let me tag @Kate23 so she is alerted to your question, and hopefully can come back to you as soon as possible. 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We look forward to reading about your own projects and plans very soon. Perhaps you are contemplating something similar to this in your own backyard? 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Can anyone enlighten me on "bluestone rounds"?
Kate23
Building a Reputation

Hi @crazycath66 

Sorry I haven't responded to your question until now. Do you still need help? Laying the rounds was really easy. We used a mortar mix to make sure they wouldn't move. If you used thicker rounds and just a bit of pavers sand they probably wouldn't move anyway.

Kate23
Building a Reputation

@Bundaboy 

Bluestone rounds are quarried and cut from boulders, so they are a natural product and each one is unique. 

-Very interesting, where do you get them?-

Scratch that, I see it has already been asked and answered.

Cheers.

@JasonFeel free to delete this redundant question

Ivy
Finding My Feet

Do you think fine gravel would work if spread around the stones?
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Absolutely @Ivy,

That's exactly what we did for a walkway down the side of our house along with some railway sleepers. Here's an old shot from a few years back, the garden is a lot more established now. 

IMG_1835.jpg 

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us and we trust you'll get loads of helpful advice and inspiration for your projects around the house and garden from our amazing members. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have a new project to share. 

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Gaye
Finding My Feet

Oh wow it looks brilliant. It’s going to be so stunning once the plants fill out. 👍

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects