Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bluestone rounds to replace lawn

Kate23
Building a Reputation

Bluestone rounds to replace lawn

For my first post I thought I'd share our current garden project. Our backyard has lots of lovely trees but it gets a lot of shade and we have an energetic dog, so our lawn didn't last. Instead of laying more turf we're now replacing it with bluestone rounds. 

We got a start on the project last weekend but mixing the concrete by hand in a wheelbarrow was slow going. We've now borrowed a small cement mixer which should make things a lot quicker and easier. 

We also realised we should have put a string line down and left it. Some of the first rounds we have laid are a little too low. 

Anyway, I'm happy with how it's coming together and think all the work will be worth it. 

Rounds.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Bluestone rounds to replace lawn

Looks like a great project @Kate23. Many thanks for sharing. Let us know if you need a hand with anything.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We're really pleased you could join us and are confident you will receive lots of helpful advice and inspiration for your projects from our clever and creative members. Feel free to post whenever you need help or have something new to share. We're looking forward to reading more about your projects and plans.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
aly
Making a Splash

The bluestone looks great @Kate23, looking forward to pictures when it's done!

Andrew2
Finding My Feet

Cost and availability of bluestone? Can you tell me the concrete mortar mix?
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Andrew2,

Welcome to Workshop. We hope you get loads of helpful information and inspiration for your projects from our community members. Please post whenever you need a hand or have a new project to share. And please feel free to reach out if you ever need help getting the most from the site. 

I have tagged @Kate23 for you to ensure she sees your questions. 

Thanks for joining in the discussion.

Jason

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

@Andrew2
For Starters you will Need to take into consideration your Location,soil condition Eg Sand, Sandy/Clay, Clay,Stormwater Drainage, House Foundation Type,etc

Try  SoilMapp 

There also the CSIROs

Foundation maintenance Guide for Homeowners

Then Post back

Cheers

Chris :smile:

Kate23
Building a Reputation

Bluestone rounds are pretty easy to find at most stone suppliers. You'll pay $30-60 per round depending on their size. 

We used a ratio of 1 part concrete to 2 parts sand and 3 parts gravel. 

I must take some new photos to update the post. We're happy with how it's looking. 

Kate23
Building a Reputation

Bluestone.jpg

natla25
Finding My Feet

Looks great! 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @natla25. Great to have you as one of our new community members. I trust you will receive loads of fantastic inspiration and advice from the Workshop extended family. Please feel free to post whenever you have a project to share or need a hand with anything. We have many experienced members happy to help. 

Please also let me know if you ever need assistance getting the most from the site or have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop so it's even more useful for you. 

Welcome,

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects