Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bench seat using three 2400x200x50 pine sleepers

cadsman
Having an Impact

Bench seat using three 2400x200x50 pine sleepers

IMG_20190725_090918.jpg

Re: Bench seat using three 2400x200x50 pine sleepers

Fantastic, looking forward to seeing what you can create @KevinMall. As previously mentioned, please don't hesitate to post if you need assistance with anything.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
May
Cultivating a Following

Re: drawings for bench

Love this thank you for sharing plans. This will work well for our front with our footpath, I didn't think of it until I saw your post 💙 

cadsman
Having an Impact

You are most welcome. Just watch out for a bit of a warp along the seat if always outside. I've used a couple of concrete blocks to keep mine straight.

fruit10
Just Starting Out

so cool....is there a video for a beginner??

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @fruit10. It's terrific to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Let me mention @cadsman so they are alerted to you kind feedback and to see if they took a video of the project whilst constructing it. If you had any specific questions I trust cadsman would be more than happy to assist you with them.

We look forward to hearing about your own projects around the house and garden and would encourage you to let us know if you need any assistance or would like to share them with the community. I trust you'll find loads of inspirational projects like this one on the site as our amazing and creative members are contributing their ideas here all the time.

Mitchell

I'd love to give this a go and I'm trying to decipher the plans. Is there a step by step instruction available?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Crackles. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

This is a project contributed by one of our community members @cadsman. I trust if you have any particular questions about the plans then he would be more than happy to answer them for you. I wouldn't imagine he's written himself any step-by-step instructions but I'm sure we can work the steps out for you. Hopefully, @cadsman will get back to us shortly with some additional information or alternatively I will attempt to put together some steps for you.

Mitchell

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Oh geez this is great. I love it !!!!!😍

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Since this has been such a popular project within the community, I've put together the following instructions based on @cadsman's plan.

Materials:

Tools:

Method:

1. Take two of the sleepers and cut 400mm off one end. These longer 2000mm sections will be the bench seat and the shorter 400mm sections will be the brace for the legs. Take the third sleeper and cut it into four 600mm lengths. These will be the legs.

2. You will then cut a rebate out of both ends of the 2000mm bench seat sections. The rebate will be 150mm from the end and 125mm wide. This rebated section will fit through the legs.

Bench seat rebate.png

3. Next you'll cut a notch out of both ends of the bench seat sections. The notch will be 25mm x 25mm and is 45mm from the end on the rebated section. It can be created but making two parallel saw cuts into the timber. One the timber is cut using a chisel remove and clean up the notched section. This notched section will have a peg placed through it to secure the bench to the legs.

Notch.png

4. You'll need to notch out all four legs pieces now. The notch will be 75mm x 50mm and is located 375mm from the bottom of the leg. You can then drill 10mm holes beneath this notch for attaching the braces.

Legs Notch.png

5. Take the two leg halves placing them together and place the 400mm brace section directly below the notched out portion of the legs. Drill four holes in the brace matching the locations of the holes already in the legs. Insert your bolts through the holes and tighten the braces into position.

Legs Joined.png

6. Insert the bench section rebates into the notched section of the legs. Take an offcut of timber and create two wedge pieces to lock the bench together. The wedge will need to be 50mm x 25mm and tapered to suit. Since this bench is made from pine it is advised to nail in some metal strapping to prevent the wood splitting when hammering in the wedges. If the bench is not completely solid add some additional timber screws through the joined section to assist.

Bench complete.png

Please let me know if you need further assistance with this project or had any questions.

Mitchell

Very helpful thanks @MitchellMc.

Let me mention some of the Bunnings Workshop community members that were interested in replicating the project so they are alerted to your plans - @Crackles@fruit10@May , @mich1972 

Thanks again,

Jason  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects