Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Beautify a rabbit hutch

bradthumb
Cultivating a Following

Beautify a rabbit hutch

I recently built a rabbit hutch that I can walk inside without having to crouch or bend, with a sheet of laserlite at the back to allow me to clean bunny's hutch in the rain.  Feedback from the bunny has been overwhelmingly positive, but feedback from the humans is that it needs to look prettier.  Any suggestions for a weatherproof decoration that works well on aviary wire?

DIY tall rabbit hutchDIY tall rabbit hutch

greygardener
Becoming a Leader

Re: Beautify a rabbit hutch

@bradthumb 

You could grow a climbing plant on it to soften it. 

Eg - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Garden/Climbers-to-dress-up-Colorbond-fence/m-p/18390

Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Hi @bradthumb - it’s a nice, large space isn’t it? @greygardener ‘s suggestion of a climbing plant is a great idea. Now I’m not a gardener, but an easy plant to grow, which is deciduous (shade for bunny in summer and sunshine during winter) - is a glory vine - give it a major prune around Easter, not a lot of water needed, once established. Or,  perhaps you could combine with some of that garden screening they sell at Bunnos - should be easy to run some wire ties through it, onto the chicken wire, cheers Deb

bradthumb
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @greygardener and @Mathy. I was going in a completely different direction but the deciduous climbing plant is a brilliant idea that I hadn't even thought of and I much prefer. Will give it a go.

Good stuff @bradthumb. Let us know where you are based and I will be happy to tag members who can suggest appropriate plants.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bradthumb
Cultivating a Following

Good thinking Jason. I am in Melbourne. The spot is shaded in the late afternoon but gets good sun in the morning and the middle of the day.

No worries @bradthumb.

No one is better than @Noelle in the community with plant suggestions. Could you please suggest a climber that would suit, Noelle? Many thanks for sharing your fantastic knowledge and experience - it's always much appreciated. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Covering bunny's very extravagant 'hutch' with a creeper or climber is a great idea to disguise it, but given rabbits' propensity to chew on anything green within reach, it's really important to ensure your selections are not toxic to animals! Having built a rabbit palace, the last thing you want to do is poison poor bunny. There are a few good choices:
Passionfruit Vine: Perfect camouflage with the added advantage of producing edible fruit for the humans
Honeysuckle (Lonicera): Evergreen or semi-evergreen with abundant flowers
Pink Jasmine (Jasminum polyanthum: Masses of pick, perfumed flowers; can be very vigorous

Many popular climbers are poisonous to animals (and humans silly enough to try eating them). Among them are clematis, wisteria, pandorea, ivy (all types), star jasmine (Trachelospermum spp), sarsaparilla creeper (Hardenbergia). In fact, most Australia native climbers/creepers are said to be poisonous to animals.

If in doubt about any creeper/climber, refer to the RSPCA website in your state (www.rspcavic.org)
bradthumb
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Noelle for those three suggestions. I will give either the passionfruit or the honeysuckle a go, both of which should keep everyone happy.  I know what you mean about rabbits chewing on anything. I found out pretty quickly why a "monstera deliciosa" is named as such, because to our rabbit it was definitely deliciosa and years of foliage have been reduced to a stump!

Monstera deliciosa eaten by rabbitMonstera deliciosa eaten by rabbit

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects