Workshop
Ask a question

Balcony inspiration

jperera
Getting Established

Balcony inspiration

Hi Everyone, 

Keen to get some ideas for my townhouse balocny. Have a built in BBQ but want to add an area that we could grow some herbs, have some plants etc.  

Picture of the balcony can be found below.

Look forward to your suggestions.

Jase 

Balcony.JPG

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Balcony Inspiration

Welcome to Workshop Jase (@jperera). It's great to have you as part of the community. 

That looks like a wonderful space already. But I'm sure Workshop members will have some suggestions for you. 

These posts might also be of interest:

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

@jperera

Great space. But it's definitely a good idea to soften it a little with some greenery.

Vertical gardens are great for balconies as a real space saver.

garden-balcony.jpgVertical-gardens.pngvertica-garden-4.jpg

apartment-feature-wall-cbd-view.jpg Vertical-wall.jpg  

What's on the left side of your picture? More glass railing?

Kellie
Making a Splash

Looks like a wonderful space. I would just recommend that you keep it simple and don't try to over-design, over-complicate or overcrowd the space. A few evenly spaced pots might be sufficient to soften it a little.

Do get a herb garden going as it's wonderful to be able to pick and cook with fresh herbs. I think having one pot with a range of herbs can look fantastic. A vertical garden can also be lovely but not sure you have a wall for one unless you did something between the two doors?

I should also say that you need to be careful with your choice of plants. I'm not sure which part of Australia you are in but balconies tend to be harsh environments - hotter, dryer and windier. Succulents are always a good choice, along with things like yuccas, agave, herbs. 

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

@jperera

Looks like you have an awesome view!

I would consider how you might use some timber to add some warmth to the space. Perhaps a bench seat or some timber screening. Looks great when combined with some greenery...

IMG_5871.jpgIMG_24431.jpg

greygardener
Becoming a Leader

Do plant some herbs. I recommend parsley, basil, mint, chives, coriander, thyme, oregano, lavender, sage and rosemary - all have many uses.

snichols
Building a Reputation

I like the suggestion of a timber bench seat. 

Sarah

Bench seats can also double as handy storage. 

bench.jpgstorage_box-_bench_seat_combination.jpg

Hi All,

Thanks for the ideas and will keep you updated with what we decide.

I think herb garden would be great but hanging from the wall there isn't too much room. I like the adding wood suggestion to soften the balcony!

Thanks again, really appreciate the feedback.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects