Workshop
Ask a question

New raised garden bed

Monument
Building a Reputation

New raised garden bed

Still awaiting hip replacement but with the warmer weather I have been more determined to to get some things done despite limitations. First order was to put up some shade over main veggie patch - not a permanent structure - just something for the summer months that  can be easily dismantled when the sunlight hours are less of a threat. I have used horticultural cloth and upcyled some steel posts from the roof of an old decorative structure. Fixtures are shade cloth clips and cable ties from Bunnings. This has stood up to the easterlies we get very well.

Next I got together a frame of wood from kerbside and cut up a colourbond roofing sheet into strips to make a raised garden bed. It is filled with a mix of sand, potting mix, tomato and veggie mix, lupin mulch and oridnary mulch. Also picked up a couple of rolls of trellis wire to put around it both to discourage curious dog and give climbing veggies a place to go.

To top things off I have planted a semi-dwarf avocado tree, a dwarf seedless lemon tree and a passionfruit vine to bring in even more home produce. :smile:Shadecloth temporary structureShadecloth temporary structureRaised BedRaised BedBed in situBed in situLemon Tree & PassionfruitLemon Tree & PassionfruitPropagator - $9!!Propagator - $9!!The reward each morningThe reward each morning

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Back on the horse - Raised Garden Bed

Great harvest @Monument! Many thanks for sharing. 

We've started to get some cucumbers in recent days, and I have a few Jalepenos on the way, but the capscicums seem a long way off... Tomatoes didn't go in this year but yours look great!

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects