Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Automatic chicken coop door opener

darylhewston
Becoming a Leader

Automatic chicken coop door opener

G'day fellow workshoppers,

Finally got around to designing, building and installing the new auto door for our girls.  I was quiet shocked at the price of purchasing a pre-built opener, but I've put together a price list and can understand why these items are expensive.  Anyhoo, I will attempt a how-to on this project.

Here are the parts required for the build that I put together.  Motor, photocell, double pole double throw relay, timer, transformer, micro/limit switches and an enclosure to put it all in. (The black transformer may be used as an alternative).

WP_20170211_001.jpg

I had to make a shaft for the motor so as to lift and lower the door.  I decided to use a bolt with a hole drilled in the end to suit the shaft.  A couple of very large washers and nuts and a smaller bolt tapped to lock onto the shaft as a key.

WP_20170211_002.jpg

Time to put it all together.  Wiring is via the diagram attached below.  I also decided to install some LED marker lights I had as surplus to come on just prior to dusk and turn off after a couple of hours (photo upside down for some reason).  I did a test run at this stage to ensure it worked.

WP_20170211_004.jpg

The following is after installing on the coop.  The little pulleys allow the door to open/close without binding.

WP_20170211_005.jpg

The rope is just plain 'gunline' and is not prone to rotting.  I will probably replace this with something more permanent in the future.

WP_20170211_006.jpg

Last but not least is the placement of the micro/limit switches which shuts down the motor when either in the raised or lowered position.  In this case I used a long bolt and positioned the switches to allow activation.

WP_20170211_008.jpg

Here is the wiring diagram.  It may look a bit intimidating but it is foolproof.  

Chicken Auto Door.pdf

If anyone wants a PDF version, just let me know.  Also if you have any questions, please don't hesitate.

Nearly forgot the price list.

24v DC motor with 48RPM reduction gearbox - $10.80 (ebay)

Photocell - $3.26 (ebay)

Relay - $4.70 (wholesaler)

Timer - Free but can purchase for under $20.00

Transformer - Free but approx $20-30 on ebay

2 x Limit switches - $12.00 (wholesaler)

Enclosure - $32.00 (wholesaler) but can get much cheaper without clear lid.

Cable, connectors and misc stuff - Approx $5-6

Labour not considered (approx 4 hours to put together, test and install).

Considering a pre-made purchased unit costs upwards of $250.00 - $400.00, I think I made the right decision making it myself.

Cheers'n'beers

Daryl

in2truth
Getting Established

Re: Automatic chicken coop door opener

Thanks yeah I hate the city.  Had enough.   51 years is more than enough 😂

oh I will be on here.  Thankful I stumbled across it yesterday.   I have much to do and much to learn, and in time, who knows, someone may pick up some knowledge from me.

So exciting!!

Mouthpear
Cultivating a Following

@Lpreciado There are several ways to wire a photocell into your door opener. Here is a very simplified way to do it. I reduced the Photocell down to just a switch for clarity AND because there are a few diffent Photocells out on the market, that to try and predict which one you will choose is impossible. So here it is. Let me know if you have any questions. I also added a Timer/Photocell selection switch. This gives you the option of using the Photocell, a Timer or Manual operation in the timer.

ScreenHunter 115 2019-06-07 12.42.jpg

P.S. If or when you buy your photocell and/or timer, post a pic of them and if possible the scematic and I could add it to this scematic to help you wire it up.

Um is that operable from my smart phone @Mouthpear   LOL..

Mouthpear
Cultivating a Following

OOPS Sorry I didn't see you ask. I do not but I will. Give me a few days.  Again sorry...

Mouthpear
Cultivating a Following

@Old-gal24 

No. for that you will need one of these. I just ordered a few and I am learning how to work them. There are a few videos on youtube on how to do it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33010430286.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.43264c4d94LgFs

@in2truth  Awesome, live the dream... great to hear you will get your little plot f land to have the room to make everything you've wanted to make since year 10.

@Mouthpear  If only I was tech savy to be able to set things like this up.  Your a clever fellow.

I'm still battling with setting up another work bench, this one will be mobile when needed and accomodate bench saw, router bench and scroll saw.  Then have it all hook up to a remote control *(haven't figured that part out yet) dust extraction unit.  :unhappy:

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

@Old-gal24 

Master/slave power point or board works well with corded tools.master-slave.jpg

Mouthpear
Cultivating a Following

@Fyastix  I am so sorry that I never saw the post of you asking about a parts list. 

12V DC

1 Actuator with internal limit switches

1 Double Pole Double Throw Relay

1 Timer TM-615

If you are going to use a 12V DC motor and not an actuator you will also need

2 Diodes

2 Limit Switches. 

However I have since rediscovered a better way to wire this. As I was explaining, in another forum, how the door locks and windows worked in a car, it Hit me like a light bulb and turn on like a ton of bricks. 

All you need is 

2 Timers TM-615 or 1 Timer TM-612

1 Actuator with internal limit switches

The wiring goes like this:

Two SPDT Timers Linear Actuator S.png

If you are going to use a 12V DC motor and not an actuator you will also need

2 Limit Switches. 

Two Timers LS.png

Two SPDT Timers Linear Actuator Using External Limit Switches.png

Mouthpear
Cultivating a Following

@Lpreciado Did you ever find the answer? 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects