Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Automatic chicken coop door opener

darylhewston
Becoming a Leader

Automatic chicken coop door opener

G'day fellow workshoppers,

Finally got around to designing, building and installing the new auto door for our girls.  I was quiet shocked at the price of purchasing a pre-built opener, but I've put together a price list and can understand why these items are expensive.  Anyhoo, I will attempt a how-to on this project.

Here are the parts required for the build that I put together.  Motor, photocell, double pole double throw relay, timer, transformer, micro/limit switches and an enclosure to put it all in. (The black transformer may be used as an alternative).

WP_20170211_001.jpg

I had to make a shaft for the motor so as to lift and lower the door.  I decided to use a bolt with a hole drilled in the end to suit the shaft.  A couple of very large washers and nuts and a smaller bolt tapped to lock onto the shaft as a key.

WP_20170211_002.jpg

Time to put it all together.  Wiring is via the diagram attached below.  I also decided to install some LED marker lights I had as surplus to come on just prior to dusk and turn off after a couple of hours (photo upside down for some reason).  I did a test run at this stage to ensure it worked.

WP_20170211_004.jpg

The following is after installing on the coop.  The little pulleys allow the door to open/close without binding.

WP_20170211_005.jpg

The rope is just plain 'gunline' and is not prone to rotting.  I will probably replace this with something more permanent in the future.

WP_20170211_006.jpg

Last but not least is the placement of the micro/limit switches which shuts down the motor when either in the raised or lowered position.  In this case I used a long bolt and positioned the switches to allow activation.

WP_20170211_008.jpg

Here is the wiring diagram.  It may look a bit intimidating but it is foolproof.  

Chicken Auto Door.pdf

If anyone wants a PDF version, just let me know.  Also if you have any questions, please don't hesitate.

Nearly forgot the price list.

24v DC motor with 48RPM reduction gearbox - $10.80 (ebay)

Photocell - $3.26 (ebay)

Relay - $4.70 (wholesaler)

Timer - Free but can purchase for under $20.00

Transformer - Free but approx $20-30 on ebay

2 x Limit switches - $12.00 (wholesaler)

Enclosure - $32.00 (wholesaler) but can get much cheaper without clear lid.

Cable, connectors and misc stuff - Approx $5-6

Labour not considered (approx 4 hours to put together, test and install).

Considering a pre-made purchased unit costs upwards of $250.00 - $400.00, I think I made the right decision making it myself.

Cheers'n'beers

Daryl

Re: Automatic chicken coop door opener

Thanks for joining in the discussion @BrianDStuart. Great to see you receive such a helpful and prompt reply from @Baretta11. Please let us know if you need any further assistance. We'd be very happpy to help with any projects you have on the go in the house or garden.

Welcome to the community,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I understand a bit more now.  My closure trigger occured just at Dusk when the chickens were still pottering. So I guess the timer is held in the off state until such a time as it is completely dark and the chicks will definitely be in the coop.  

I see that I can set the timer to fire at say 10PM, the photocell will activate, detect it is dark and switch the coil appropropriately triggering the door closing sequence.  As you say the morning sequence can time for whenever.

I could keep resetting the timer to activiate closer to dusk but I would have to keep changing it with the seasons as the days get longer - so I might as well set it for 10 PM -that way it deals with both winter and summer (in my area anyway).  

I also tried to find if I could have the photocell activate itself at dusk but the have some sort  of "power on" delay.  My google skills have failed to unearth any invention the can acheive that. 

Thansk all to the great insights. 

@BrianDStuart,

Hi Brian, sorry to tell you 10pm is waaaayy too late, the timer has to be not long after dark as chooks don't usually roost just on dusk so they should be inside before that without any prompting. Foxes seem to find such simple anomalies in a system and I'm afraid like us, you might come home or go out to find dreadful carnage.

It is a bit of a nuisance to have to be resetting the clock but in all fairness, day light saving is around for quite a while, so if you notice the chooks are always in by say 8.30pm, then set the timer about 15 min later, you will find they will be very regular, that is in their nature to roost as all birds do but that extra hour or so is unnecessary for the chooks as they are never still going to be out once the daylight is all but gone.

I live in Victoria so it is dark by 5.30pm in the dead of winter so having the timer close the door at 10pm would most certainly be curtains for the chooks having an open door for over 4 hours in the dark assuming of course you could have a fox issue but given foxes are in suburbia too nowadays and in fact a study I heard suggested there are more foxes now in town than in the country, you would really need to re adjust the clock from time to time but that is usually not too hard??

I have had a huge power bill coincidentally and as a result of making some changes to try to save on power, I have included timers on things like our bathroom heated towel rail and the charger for the stick vacc for example, so I don't have these devices still on 24/7 but running after midnight when we have cheaper rates, so I have become pretty proficient with the use of timers hence my comment they aren't too hard to change the time providing you don't do what I still do occasionally and forget to set the right time to the arrow after setting the on/off time ha-ha ha-ha

Good luck.

Cheers,

Barbara

Lpreciado
Just Starting Out

Has anyone set this up to a 12v battery with solar? Also........ how would one set it up to open and close with a light sensor? As in when the sun comes up the door comes up and vica versa. I'd like to make this as automatic as possible.

thanks!

in2truth
Getting Established

Great job!   I think when the time comes I’ll buy one.   I am clueless on that sort of stuff 😂

Hi @Lpreciado,

Apologies that you didn't receive a reply to your post during my absence from Workshop.  

Let me tag a few of our members who might be able to provide input into your question about using solar and a light sensor.

@Mouthpear@dani2526@Fyastix@jeremy108@BrianDStuart@Monument@Caron@TheSaltyreefer 

Let me also extend an overdue welcome to the community. We're really pleased you could join us and look forward to reading more about this project and many others to come in the future. Please feel free to post anytime you need assistance or have something to share. 

Jason

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@in2truth,

We've all got to start from somewhere. Feel free to use Workshop to slowly build your knowledge, experience and skills. There are loads of helpful people in the community who will be happy to give you a hand along the way. 

Many thanks for joining in the discussion and a very warm welcome to the community. 

Jason

Caron
Making a Splash

I just ordered an automatic chicken door from a small business in Tasmania, it runs on 4 AA batteries. Once I get it, will provide an update on the set up.

in2truth
Getting Established

Thanks Jason.

I’m preparing to sell my unit in Brunswick and am going to purchase land in the bush.  Finally, my dream is happening.  Can’t wait to build a chicken coop and build other things.  I loved woodwork in year 10 back in 1983...  always had the desire but no space.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Wow, how exciting for you @in2truth. I hope you can share your new adventure with the Workshop community!

All the best preparing your unit to sell. I'm sure you won't have too much trouble in Brunswick. As a former resident who still misses it, I reckon it's a great place to live. 

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects