Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Attaching Colorbond fence extension

hbye
Getting Established

Attaching Colorbond fence extension

I am attempting to extend the height of my colourbond fence and have purchased the extension posts, the extension panels and the capping post with the advise of my local Bunnings people. Now that I have everything I need I can’t work out how the panels fit into the posts as they are a lot narrower than the gap in the posts. Is there a tutorial for this? I have looked but can’t find one. I’m thinking that I may have been given wrong information on what I need when I purchased the items. These are the items I was advised I needed. 

078BB5E7-F340-40FE-8D24-248D655F2001.jpeg

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: attaching colourbond fence extension to existing fence

Please take a photo of your existing post so that the community can have a better idea of your current existing fence. As soon as we see it, we will be able to give possible advice on how to proceed. Thanks.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sorry to see you're having trouble @hbye. Hopefully Workshop community members will be able to assist you.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. We're pleased you could join us and trust that you'll get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration for your projects from our clever and resourceful members. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have a new project to share. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
hbye
Getting Established

Thank you for your reply. I have attached photos of the existing post and the extension post. I can see that the extension fits into the existing post but my problem is how does the panel fit into the extension post as there is only a 25mm wide lip at the bottom with no lip on the side and the opening in the extension is 5mm.

Extension panel and postExtension panel and post  Looking down on the existing postLooking down on the existing postExisting postExisting postExtension postExtension post

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@hbye I've had a look at these for you online and you were given everything you need. I know it looks a bit odd, however the extension just sits inside the larger brackets and the screws you fix into the top rail/capping of the fence secures it. When I first saw your post, I assumed you may have been given the wrong bracket and capping, as I would have thought it would have had a much thinner channel.

I've had a look at several pictures of this brand on google and checked the specs on the Bunnings web page, they confirm what I am saying.
I can't find a Bunnings video, though this is an extremely similar product which shows the installation procedure. Even though it is a different brand, they still utilise the wide brackets and a thin pressed piece of lattice.
Hope this helps.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

hbye
Getting Established

Thank you so much for your information MitchellM. It’s very helpful having the tutorial and I feel confident i can now go ahead and do the job.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Fantastic, let us know how you go with it @hbye. And feel free to post again if you need help with anything.

Jason

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@hbye Not a problem at all, glad I could help.

damien-22
Growing in Experience

Can this extension kit still be purchased from bunnings? I can’t see it online..

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @damien-22. Many thanks for your questions, I'd be happy to answer it for you.

The panels featured above are available in-store and there is a range of coloured lattice fencing extensions to choose from. A slatted variety can also be special ordered from our supplier Fielders.

You will require a capping rail, two post extensions and coloured metal screws to complete the install.

We look forward to hearing about you completing your fence extension project and encourage you to share it with the community.

Please let me know if you have further questions or need assistance.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects