Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ash timber finish

Focusmarine
Finding My Feet

Ash timber finish

He everyone, My partner and I are restoring a seacraft timber boat and i was looking at finishing the skin with marine ply made with the outer layer Ash. Was wondering what different types of finishes people have gotten from Ash timber and how they got it.
Thanks
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Ash timber finish

What a fantastic project @Focusmarine. I'm looking forward to reading more about it. Have you got any photos of the boat you can share?

I trust other Workshop members will be able to provide some suggestions for you about potential finishes. Perhaps @Simon might be able to assist?

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. It's fantastic to have you join the community. I'm sure you'll find plenty of like-minded people here who love to get stuck into D.I.Y. projects and share their experiences and knowledge. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Joker
Having an Impact

Good luck with it. 

This site suggests that these days Ash is favoured for internal fit-outs only. Unfortunately it doesn't say what treatment they would recommend.

Have you got any photos of the boat?

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I have a feeling that the wet side is epoxy/poly coating and the option of anti fouling paint underwater. Deck would be anti slip coating and the internal Ash more or less free choice.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Focusmarine,

How is your project going? I'm sure I'm like many members of the community and would love to see some photos.

All the best,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects