Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Advise on wood finishes wanted

Jojo69
Cultivating a Following

Advise on wood finishes wanted

Hi, i am needing to finish a couple of projects. 

20200422_002827.jpg  20200422_002459.jpg

Some have been stained and a couple have interbuild hard wax oil. 

Ive added 2 different pics of some of the items i have made. 

I have varnished some shau sugi ban items and wondering what would be best to finish them off. 

TIA

Jo

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Advise on wood finishes wanted

Traditional way would be to use Tung Oil but it is not suitable to use with stains or varnish. Polyurethane is the modern way of finishing.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jojo69. Fantastic to see more of your shou sugi ban projects.

Shou sugi ban is a preservation and finishing method for timber in itself. If you wish to change the finish there are a few different options to choose from.

As @Brad has suggested for treating the timber after you have burnt and sanded it a Feast Watson 1l Tung Oil would be suitable. You can try a test section over the stain you are using. You were mentioning RIT dye on another topic, is this the stain you are referring to? 

A great product to use is Cabots Water Based Gloss Cabothane Clear Polyurethane Timber Varnish as it is hard-wearing and will coat a variety of substrates successfully. I've personally used it over such things as epoxy resin, crayon and timber with great results. It is always best practice to try a test section first as it can potentially prevent ruining a project.

We look forward to you sharing more of your interesting projects. If you have other questions or need further advice, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jojo69
Cultivating a Following

20200424_141401.jpg20200424_141919.jpg20200424_141316.jpgThanks @Brad and @MitchellMc , 

I have used cabots water based gloss clear water Varnish before. I find it sits on top and does not penetrate to the lower levels, leaves a lovely shiny look that increases the impact . Example blue picture.  

I purchased  interbuild hardwood wax both clear and golden teak the other day when first applied it looked amazing on the shou sugi ban piece however has now obsorbed quiet significantly and decreased the effect. As you can see in tne kids bench seat. I read you needed to wait 1 month before re applying.  I might check that theory this week end. It is amazing on non burt wood and will keep using It on my other projects. 

I use powered Rit fabric dye to colour the wood.  A hint is only use 1/4 teaspoon with half a cup of boiling water.  First time i did it i used a couple of tablespoons in half a cup. Needless to say every colour was black. It is about $9 packet and will last for ever when using it right. 

It is amazing to watch it change colour over the next 48 hours.  

I have purchased the feast watson glass finish however i do not think it will work well on shou sugi ban.  

I will decently try tung oil, all the information i get on shou sugi ban is from America and they are different here or very expensive.  

Thanks guys for your help.

Jo

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects