Workshop
Ask a question

cubby house / Play house

Mrbocaj
Getting Established

cubby house / Play house

Hey gals and guys im wanting to make my 2 year old boy a cubby house and have some 3d designs drawn up but i dont know what to make it from.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: cubby house / Play house

Welcome to Workshop @Mrbocaj. Thanks for joining the community. I hope you find it informative, inspirational and plenty of fun. 

Thanks also for making your first post. A cubby house is a great project! I'm sure the Workshop community will be keen to share suggestions about materials to use. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Mick
Cultivating a Following

Would love to see your design @Mrbocaj. You planning anything fancy or really creative? I think you'll find that nearly all cubbies are built using treated pine as its cheap and strong and lasts. You should have no trouble these days but just to be extra safe make sure it is arsenic-free and kid-friendly. What are you planning for the roof? Some colourbond?   

Mrbocaj
Getting Established

hey guys its just a quick one atm to get an idea as to how i want it, i dont know if i want to do a normal roof or a one sided sloped roof

image link http://postimg.org/image/95lc24iap/
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Heya @Mrbocaj, would also love to see your design. Are you able to attach the image to your post? I can't access your link because of restrictions here at work (annoying filter limits the sites we can visit). You just hit the button above that looks like a painting - if you hover above it says Insert/edit Image. Thanks heaps. 

DIY_Dad
Cultivating a Following

Thinking of your cubby as an outdoor structure you need outdoor materials.
Fences are a great starting point, for timber fences that is treated pine.

I did a real quick search on Bunnings and found these: -

Structural pine - http://www.bunnings.com.au/70-x-45mm-h3-treated-pine-outdoor-timber-framing-mgp-10-lineal-metre_p900...
Palings - http://www.bunnings.com.au/100-x-12mm-1-5m-treated-pine-fence-paling_p0120253

I don't think that your cubby will be carrying a heavy roof structure so the structural timber is possibly still at bit thick. Palings are relativly cheap and can produce a really nice rustic look when nicely overlapped.

My one tip of advice when working with pine as a DIY'er is to buy the best straight lengths. At bunnings it is normally stored flat and the DAR pine is stored upright. Anyway, pine bends easily and can deform and twist. If you know what you are doing this is not an issue to work with but to avoid it adding complexity to your projects put the length on the floor and see if it rocks about a mid point. Then do a visual check for arching, or flip it over and check again for any bends. Then flip it 90 and repeat. Palings wont matter.

Hope that helps, keep us posted with progress picks.
Yonnee
Having an Impact

Can I suggest thinking long term, and that what you make can double as a future Garden Shed or small Workshop once the kid/s grow out of a cubby house / fort.

Also, a skillion roof is a little easier to construct than a pitched roof, it can be extended beyond the wall line to give shade/weather protection to doors and windows, and requires only one length of guttering should you choose.

Mrbocaj
Getting Established

hey thanks guys i will take the shed idea into account and look at the treated pine. i was going to use some plywood for the flooring and make the base from 200mmx50mm sleepers would that be okay 

Our cubby house growing up as kids was built by my Dad using house bricks as the floor. Maybe browse eBay/Gumtree for a small batch of bricks or Pavers...
Handy_John
Getting Established

Consider using marine ply for the floor as it will weather a lot better than other plywood. Give it a good coat of oil or outdoor paint as well (both sides and edges to really get the best out of it). treated pine for sure. I would consider cladding with cement sheeting or colourbond. Advantage of colourbond is it doesn't need painting. Cement sheeting is quick and relatively inexpensive but should be painted. to be sealed. I agree with the skillion roof comment. Easy to extend to make a little verandah. Make sure you use screws that are made for outdoor use and suitable for treated pine.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects