Workshop
Ask a question

Tips for staying cool in the hot weather

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Tips for staying cool in the hot weather

PoolRelax.jpg

It's going to be another very hot day for many people around Australia. I hope everyone stays safe and as cool as possible.

In the discussion below, please share your tips for staying cool in the hot weather. 

I'll kick off with one that helped a lot when my family and I were at the cricket during a scorcher on Saturday - wet a flannel with icewater and place it on the back of your neck. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Re: Tips for staying cool in the hot weather

Very hot night down here last night! Here's some tips for staying cool at night - https://www.domain.com.au/living/keep-cool-hot-summer-nights/

The section about colour is interesting. Using curtains and blinds from letting the bedroom heat up in the first place is always my top tip.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Another very hot couple of days for much of the country. Stay safe and cool everyone, and look after loved ones - particularly pets and the aged.  

Jason

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

1104603.png

#1 Flyscreens on windows. We live in the bush, so everything is open at night. Close up including blinds and curtains (thermal backing) during the day.
#2 Homebrew aircon. 20W solar running two computer fans through an insulated bucket containing frozen milk bottles of water. Noticeably cooler at floor level - we sit on the floor and play board games with the kids.

Kiwi, can you please upload an image of your DYI cooler please? Do you mount the fans on top? I would imagine if you can make it side mounted so air is pushed horizontally would help with air flow more. I’ve heard of old esky being used this way with dry ice - not that dry ice is easy to get hold of. I like the easy milk bottle option.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Karma,

Let me tag @Kiwifr33 for you so he is alerted to your question about whether he could share a photo of his D.I.Y. cooling system. Hopefully he will be able to get back to you soon.

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We're really pleased you could join us and look forward to reading more about your projects and plans. Please feel free to post anytime. We have wonderful members sharing helpful advice and inspiring projects every day.

Jason

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Temperatures are set to soar over the next few days across most parts of the country. Hope everyone is staying cool and safe. Don't forget to keep an eye on your garden too.

Feel free to keep sharing your tips on staying cool in this discussion. 

Akanksha 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects