Workshop
Ask a question

Tips for staying cool in the hot weather

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Tips for staying cool in the hot weather

PoolRelax.jpg

It's going to be another very hot day for many people around Australia. I hope everyone stays safe and as cool as possible.

In the discussion below, please share your tips for staying cool in the hot weather. 

I'll kick off with one that helped a lot when my family and I were at the cricket during a scorcher on Saturday - wet a flannel with icewater and place it on the back of your neck. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Re: Tips for staying cool in the hot weather

A small blow up pool can be great. We've had a lot of fun in them over the years. Those cheap clamshell sandpits are also good, especially for keeping kids and pets cool. 

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Or just lie in a pile of ice....

ice.png

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Move to Melbourne. You'll get really hot, but 5 minutes later the weather will change completely and you'll be freezing, or dripping wet...

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

All the very best to Workshop members currently suffering extreme hot weather. Stay safe everyone! And feel free to share more tips for beating the heat.

Jason

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

It's going to be very hot in some parts of the country over the next few days. Hope everyone can stay safe and cool. 

Feel free to share tips about keeping the house (and yourselves) cool.

Jason

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

I think I've said this on Workshop before, but invest in indoor and outdoor blinds. They help stop the sun from warming up the house and would save you money in the long run compared to air conditioning.

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Stuardo
Becoming a Leader

Bad news, my air con died yesterday and it was so old it was not worth repairing.
Goods news, I just bought a new one with a 4 star rating which qualifies for a Queensland Gov rebate of $300. I put my name down for that quick smart as it is only around till the money runs out.
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Good tip @Stuardo. It's always worth checking whether rebates are available for power and water-saving purchases. 

I see one of the air con manufacturers is currently plugging wi-fi enabled units so you can control it remotely. Eg turn it on before you get home. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects