Workshop
Ask a question

Retro caravan renovation

Peggers
Becoming a Leader

Retro caravan renovation

CaravanAfter.jpg

Renovated an old 70s Millard caravan from scratch with a Penguin Classics book theme.

Hard work, but well worth the results of a Xmas Holiday project!!

Before 2.jpg

Before 1.jpg

Before 3.jpg

Pic 7.jpg

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 2.jpg

Pic 10.jpg

Radio.jpg

Pic 3.jpg

Peggers
Becoming a Leader

Re: Renovated an old 70s Millard caravan...

Van Interior 1.jpg

justintilson
Finding My Feet

How did you trim out the window frames to your new wall panels?

deborah
Getting Established

Hey It looks great. can you help me I don't know where to start. I read somewhere that some structures inside are support for the van. How do I know what to remove and not weaken the structure. cheers deb

I actually just put the wall panels around the window frames and then filled and gapped around the edges to give a reasonable smooth finish. Not perfect, but once you paint over it, it looks pretty good.

@deborah Most vans are pretty robust and an aluminium box in their own right. You can remove most stuff. I do tend to leave in all the upper locker cupboards as I don't want to damage the roof and cause leaks. But anything lower down can come out. I think you'll get a feel for what is flimsy and not supporting anything and what is integral to the structure.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Just a heads-up to visitors of this discussion that @Peggers has shared photos of a couple of other caravan renovation projects he has worked on.

Thanks again for sharing your great work.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
beckyboo
Growing in Experience

Hi @Peggers. Your caravan looks amazing. I'm just stating out renovating my first caravan. It's an old Millard I'm hoping to permanently live in when she's finished. Her names Peggy. Just wondering if you have any tips or advice for someone starting out on the renovation? Thanks.:bigsmile:

Peggynme
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi again @beckyboo,

I've tagged Rob in your other discussion post so I'm sure he will respond there as soon as he can. 

And do check out the recent interview we did with Rob as it contains some caravan renovation tips which might help get you started - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Blog/Physical-creativity-on-the-road/ba-p/17663

Thanks,

Jason

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Peggers,

Great to see the popularity of your caravan renovation project on Instagram today. Congratulations!

Looking forward to seeing your next project. 

Jason

Gail1
Just Starting Out

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects