Workshop
Ask a question

Protecting treated pine cuts

Harv
Building a Reputation

Protecting treated pine cuts

I’m building a deck and have been using treated pine so far I have been coatings my cuts with a protective spray on joists and bearers,now I am on to the decking boards do I need to recoat the ends of the boards I cut,The spray I use is darker green to the timber will it show through the stain or oil I use

Thankyou Harv

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Protecting treated pine cuts

Cut end treatment

The blurb...

Woodcare Clear Wood Preserative is a brush-on LOSP (Light Organic Solvent Preservative) treatment that is used to protect against decay and borers. It is suitable for softwood timbers and treated pine and can also be used as a cut end sealer. This product is only suitable for above ground use.

• LOSP Treatment
  • Protects against decay and borers
  • Suitable for softwoods and treated pine
  • Can be used as a cut end sealer
  • Easy application
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great assistance as always @Brad. Thanks for sharing.

Hope all is well.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Can this treatment be painted over with water based paint? 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @TimeMotion. Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to assist.

I've searched for the product @Brad mentions and it appears that it's no longer available within stores. If you can allow me until Monday I'd be happy to call the manufacturer and find out whether you can special order the product and if it's indeed paintable. Alternatively, I have found TWA Woodcare 300g Ecoseal Tanalised Timber Treatment which is a spray-on product which can be painted over. The manufacturer specifies that the product will initially be green then fade to a green/brown over a  few weeks. The product can be painted over when dry with water-based paint or primer.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need further assistance.

Mitchell

Long time follower, first time poster... I was wondering about the substitute for the discontinued preservative asked by OP. I am in a similar situation and would want to stain and not paint over the timber.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @arian10daddy. Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to assist.

It's fantastic to have you join us and great to see you jump straight into the discussion. There is a clear H3 aerosol timber preserver, which can be stained over, that can be special ordered into stores. The product is called Koppers End Seal by RLA and its part number is 999704. The special order can be placed in-store or over the phone.

Please let me know if I can assist you with placing an order or if you had any other questions.

Mitchell

Thanks for the prompt response.

Would there be a H4 alternative as well, say for sealing the cut ends for timber retaining wall that can be stained? 

Hi @arian10daddy,

I am unable to locate a clear sealer which is rated higher than H3. I'll pass this onto our merchandise team to look into further. What type of treated pine sleepers will you be using for the retaining wall? The majority of our sleepers are green in colour already. As mentioned earlier Ecoseal H5 treatment is green, to begin with, and will then fade to a green/brown over the next few weeks.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchel,

I'm considering 200x75 H4 treated 1.2m sleepers for posts as well as the wall, with a Merbau/Jarrah colored stain finish. Not all posts will be 1.2m (or its multiple) apart, so I will have to make cuts to the sleepers. Also, I'm fine with sealing the bottom end of the posts with the black colored bitumen stuff available at Bunnings, but I can't do that to the top part and the ends of Sleepers, and these will have soil contact. Hence, the queries.

Nevertheless, great work, being on top of the things! Cheers!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects