Workshop
Ask a question

How do you cook your steak?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How do you cook your steak?

Forget the great debate about the proper name for a sausage and bread. Everyone knows that steak is where it's at.

But how do you cook your steak? 

Share your secret to the perfect steak in the discussion below.

Grilling_Steaks.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How do you cook your steak?

Sear each side on a super hot hotplate to lock the juices in then grill, turning 90 degrees (not flipping) to create the square grill marks and repeating on other side.

Of course timing depends on size of steak, desire of 'doneness', etc but onc eyou get your timing right, the method is magic :wink:

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

The Workshop community is split. Most community members only turn their steak once or twice during cooking, but there is a strong contingent who flip their meat many times. 

Thanks to all those who voted in our recent poll. Feel free to continue the debate by replying below.

Jason

SteakPoll.png

I think the old "Never turna steak more than once" is just an outdated myth tbh. There's more science to it now which has probably even converted whoever came up with that rule/myth in the first place. I used to follow the rule, until I learned better ways of doing it :smile:

----------
Handy and helpful

On the note of 'myths' http://bbqworld.org/7-grilling-myths-you-should-stop-believing-right-now/
----------
Handy and helpful
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

That myth about marinades is an eye-opener. We often marinate our meat, particularly with lemon juice for helping to tenderise. 

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Was just reading up on reverse searing at http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/how-to-reverse-sear-best-way-to-cook-steak.html, and sure enough @MoonshineBen has talked about it here. Will give it a try. 

I have tried both ways of turning the steak only once and multiple times.  I find the best steak is one that has been marinated overnight in olive oil and steak seasoning making sure you pierce the steak with a fork all over before marinading.  Then first onto the open grill to sear it fast turning twice then depending on personal taste to complete the cooking on the flat top on the BBQ.  

Thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your technique @jonno172000. We're pleased you could join us. I trust you will find plenty of helpful advice and inspiration for your projects from Workshop community members as you browse the site and join in the conversations. Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects