Workshop
Ask a question

Grasscrete - any experience or thoughts?

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Grasscrete - any experience or thoughts?

We're thinking about using some "grasscrete" to add some new texture to a sitting area we're planning for the new place - it'll be surrounded in plants with a simple bench seat arrangement and probably a louvre roof (example below). We like the look of it but wondering how much of a pain it is to keep looking nice - if at all...?

I'm assuming I just run over it with a whipper snipper as required.

Does anyone have this at home and/or have other suggestions for ground in the area?

grasscrete.jpg

louvreroof.jpg

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Re: Grasscrete - any experience or thoughts?

Interesting @ProjectPete. I thought this was typically used as a driveway solution. I think most people for an area like you are suggesting would use a timber deck or stone pavers. I would think that the choice of what to plant would be crucial. I would want a ground cover that needs no cutting rather than a traditional grass. It would also be important that it dominates over weeds.  

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I was thinking ground cover too something like Alpine Pratia that can handle some shade.

BTW nice shoes you have there...

@MartyH We'll have aggregate for the alfresco and a slight extension from there, concrete and decking for the firepit, stone pavers surrounding the pool and fake grass to most other areas...I suppose I could (painfully) install fake grass in each of the gaps...

grasscrete1.jpg

----------
Handy and helpful

@ProjectPete

I like the look of this overall, would you put real grass or turf between the slabs? Real grass would make it a bit of a pain to maintain over time as it will eventually creep over your slabs if there isn’t fairly consistent maintenance.

@DrgnRose High maintenance is definitely a factor and a bit of a downer. I don't mind effort if it's worth it. The more I think about this, the less I feel like the maintenance will be worth it. Looking into some different options.

----------
Handy and helpful

@ProjectPete I have a section in my yard where the old owner has planted some little grasses around pavers, It doesn't spread like normal grass though and is really easy to maintain as it hardly grows. I'll grab a photo of it later today, they look something like this https://www.bunnings.com.au/140mm-liriope-samantha-liriope-muscari_p3780134

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects