Workshop
Ask a question

D.I.Y. fire pit ideas

aly
Making a Splash

D.I.Y. fire pit ideas

With the colder weather approaching I thought it’d be a great project to create a fire pit for outdoor entertaining. I recently saw a fire pit made out of stacked wheel drums and thought it looked simple and rather effective. Anyone got any ideas or images of some interesting fire pit designs? - Thanks!
Firepit.png

Shane
Having an Impact

Re: DIY Fire Pit Ideas

Saw this one on Instagram over the weekend. Looks great and seems very easy.

brickfirepit.png

AHoy
Having an Impact

I think the fire pit should double as a BBQ. So any design should have a grate of some kind so you can throw a steak or a few snags on. I like this design:

Amazing-DIY-Outdoor-Fire-Place.jpg

Hi Kay,

where did you find the fire ice?

i like the fire pits at BUNNINGS but don't like the smoke from timber fires.

i would like to convert one of these to a gas fire with the fire ice?

any ideas?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Thexmen,

Welcome to Workshop and thanks for joining in the discussion. It's great to have you join the community. I hope you find the site to offer plenty of new ideas and information. 

I'm sure @kaylah_rose or another member of the community can assist with tracking down fire ice, although a gas fire would obviously require a licensed plumber to install. 

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Thexmen

It doesn't seem that this product is widely available apparently. Not sure where you are located, however the Jetmaster site seems to nominate stores in every state that should stock fire glass (I found out this is the correct name).

Hopefully this helps!

I think eBay and Gumtree might have some products available as well.

Good luck! 

Let me know how you go!

Quick tip for those building a fire pit or already using one. Make sure you have some marshmellows or a sausage handy. Not only are they delicious, they might also save you from a council fine. A lot of areas have local laws that prohibit open fires except for the purpose of cooking food. 

Love fire pits! One of my fav things to do. Perfect to enjoy red wine and whisky next to. I find the things not designed be fire pits actually make the best ones - effective and unique. They tend to have a story. In saying that there are a few nice ones at your local Bunnings.

I am also a big fan of the Swedish Torch, a great convo starter too :wink:
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Yonnee
Having an Impact

@Joker has touched on a good subject. Even though your states fire authority determines when there are fire restrictions for each municipality, local councils can be a law unto themselves when it comes to putting in place their own rules and regulations. There may be local laws in place all year round. There is a provision in the CFA Act for allowing an open fire "for warmth or comfort" providing a few conditions are met...

http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/warnings-restrictions/can/

These conditions and restrictions may differ in other states, so it would pay to check with your local fire authority.

Yonnee
Having an Impact

Similar to one of the photos @kaylah_rose put up, I made this one over the weekend for my Sister as a birthday present...

RIM FIRE PIT 001.JPG

Wow !! Workshoppers on fire !! How fantastic it is to see such creativity. Thanks everybody for giving me another project idea for when my new deck is finished. Cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects