Workshop
Ask a question

D.I.Y. cubby houses

Yorky88
Becoming a Leader

D.I.Y. cubby houses

YorkyCubby.jpg

I just decided on a whim to build my boys a cubby house on the weekend and I just wanted see what other people have done.

If you have built a cubby I'd love to see it.

My cubby is still a work in progress but  I will post some progress pictures below.

I am building this completely from scratch and off the top of my head without any plans.

Cubby Cubby2.jpgIMG_0481.JPG

Cubby4.jpg

Re: Cubby house

Here are some recent pics 

CubbyHouse5.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Fantastic @Yorky88, thanks for the update. Glad to see they are enjoying it, and looking forward to seeing what you come up with next. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Thought I'd share the one I made for my girls for Xmas 2016. They play in it rain hail or shine and live the external blackboard wall.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Hoping the girls still want one for the new house (due Dec 2018ish) so I can start over and make it more of a practical, obstacle style one.
----------
Handy and helpful

@ProjectPete

Can't wait to see what a "practical, obstacle-style" cubby house is!

Jason

Think miniature ninja warrior @Jason :wink:

----------
Handy and helpful
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Spot on @MartyH haha

----------
Handy and helpful
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Have you made any other additions to the cubby @Yorky88?

There's been a lot of interest in your post - obviously at this time of year, a lot of parents are considering buying or building a new cubby house as a Christmas present for their kids.

Jason

Tara86
Amassing an Audience

@Yorky88 @ProjectPete Wow you guys have done an amazing job!! If it’s okay am I able to pick your brains?
We found one online that was perfect but dimensions way to small. My eldest is 9 and really tall but also need to consider heights and features safe enough for my 3 year old.

I’m planning on re-using the swings, slide and basketball hoop from their current swing set. Will have a cubby on the top level.

My biggest question is stability. Any advice on which wood to use for the posts? Or if there is particular calculations we need to be mindful off so the weight is balanced (I’m assuming it’s similar to what we used when we made our deck)? Did you use batten screws or bolts for joining the major structural pieces?
Sorry for all the questions, appreciate any advice we can get ☺️

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects