Workshop
Ask a question

Building the BBQ Arbor

Wayne
Becoming a Leader

Building the BBQ Arbor

I had limited space to find a home for my new gas BBQ Grille so I decided to build a dedicated decorative Arbor for it.
BBQ Arbor29.jpg
After searching the internet for design ideas and working out the required dimensions and a mental picture of what I wanted I got started on the base.
BBQ Arbor1.jpg
I glued together three 140mm x 35mm pine boards with cutouts in the centre board that would act as a mortise for the upright ends of the arbor.
BBQ Arbor2.jpg
Then cut some angles on the front and back for decoration, rounded over the edges and sanded to a smooth finish starting with 80 Grit then 120 Grit, 180 Grit and finally 240 Grit.
BBQ Arbor3.jpg
It appears I never took any photos of the rest of the base construction, but it was just a frame of 70mm x 35mm framing timber screwed and glued with a rabbet cut along the lengths at the top to nail down some slavaged pine decking offcuts as the floor.
BBQ Arbor4.jpg
I stained the base with a Golden Cedar stain.
BBQ Arbor9.jpg
I had bought a used Mortising Machine through Gumtree Classifieds and decided I would make the end panels using Mortise and Tenon joints. I calculated the appropriate size then used some scrap to make a sample of the joint.
BBQ Arbor8.jpg
I set up the fence and a stop block on the Mortiser and drilled out the mortise joints on the 4 uprights.
BBQ Arbor7.jpg

BBQ Arbor10.jpg

BBQ Arbor11.jpg
I set up the Tenon Jig and made the vertical cuts for the tenons in the side runners.
BBQ Arbor12.jpg

BBQ Arbor13.jpg
Then used the Miter Gauge on the Table Saw to finish off the Tenons.
BBQ Arbor14.jpg
Finished Tenon.
BBQ Arbor7.jpg
Then assembled the end frames with glue and clamps.
BBQ Arbor16.jpg
Once again I missed taking photos of some of the construction being the top section of the Arbor. This consists of a front and back fascia board with an angled cut on the ends 140mm x 35mm. I did however, make an internal frame inside that which screwed to the end frames and to the fascias. I then made the 5 cross members with matching angled cuts for the top which are glued and screwed in position.
BBQ Arbor17.jpg
I finished staining the arbor then BBQ Arbor19.jpgcut up some treated pine batten that I had lying around to 19mm square and rounded over the ends then glued and bradded to make a decorative trellis on each side panel.
Next I cut up some scrap boards to make brackets and also make some planter boxes for the ends.
BBQ Arbor20.jpg
BBQ Arbor21.jpg
I glued a couple boards together for each bracket.
BBQ Arbor23.jpg
Then drew a pattern that I liked and cut them out on the band saw and sanded them.
BBQ Arbor25.jpg
I made it as a shelf and the planter box just sits on top without any fastening.
BBQ Arbor26.jpg
BBQ Arbor28.jpg
All done with the BBQ in place.

Wood Working with Wayne
CathD
Making a Splash

Re: Building the BBQ Arbor

Interesting! Thanks for showing the step-by-step pictures @Wayne. You did a great job. 

Wayne
Becoming a Leader

Thank you Cath.

Wood Working with Wayne
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Wow oh Wow!!!
Fabulous design & execution mate.
Thanks for sharing your pics & how tos, I can only dream of doing what you've done.
To show my gratitude, I'll drop in & give you a live demonstration of how we can go through a slab of beer. Though with me being a safety nut & responsible drinker, I'll bring my sleeping bag, & sleep it off in your workshop.

I'm a retired South Aussie too. ; )

Sounds good to me! and thanks for the compliments.

Wood Working with Wayne
aly
Making a Splash

This looks amazing! Love the detailed steps and photographs!
Ben
Making a Splash

Amazing work @Wayne, thank you for sharing such detailed photos. I can't word work at all, but would like to learn, and thanks to you am searching for an excuse to buy a mortising machine!
Annette
Making a Splash

Not that I need a structure like this, but HUGE thanks for the step by step photos and instructions for us not so talented wannabe chippies. I hope other members follow your example to show how easy a project can be with detailed photos and instructions :smile:

Trying
Making a Splash

Trying
Making a Splash

You really do make the wood 'speak' to us. What a great job Wayne - well done ! Cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects