Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

bare plasterboard v bare set plaster

pabloEB
Finding My Feet

bare plasterboard v bare set plaster

What’s the difference between bare plasterboard and bare set plaster? 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: bare plasterboard v bare set plaster

Hi @pabloEB,

Welcome to Workshop. We're pleased you could join us and jump straight into the discussions. We hope you get plenty of great advice and inspiration for your home improvement projects from our community members. 

I'll leave this one for our knowledgeable members to answer. Are you planning a renovation project? 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Jase for the welcome. Just finishing up reno and would like to save a few bucks by painting the newly hung plasterboard myself. Best, pabloEB
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good one @pabloEB. Be great to see what you've done with the reno. 

Painting is certainly a good D.I.Y. candidate to save some money. Just make sure you use an undercoat for newly hung plasterboard. And most paint manufacturers will probably recommend a light sand and clean to remove any dust and dirt before you pick up a paintbrush. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Yep, for sure, Jason. Just need to work out what’s the best undercoat to use - a primer sealer or sealer binder. And what when the area is a mix of newly hung plasterboard and existing plaster on brick that has been patched. Cheers, mate. pabloEB
Simon
Having an Impact

Welcome @pabloEB,

Bare set plaster is more common in older properties. By chance is there any heritage listings attached to your property? This isn't always the case but a lot of the time can be.
Raw plasterboard should be prepped with a primer/sealer/undercoat paint before any top coat. All the big brands usually have one product that acts as all three (E.g a '3-in-1' or '4-in-1').
Bare set plaster needs to be prepped with a binding agent. These are slightly different types of prep coats/sealers, which will usually very clearly state 'binder' on the packaging.

These binder sealers are great at sticking to chalky surfaces. Follow the instructions on the tins, these paints generally brush out nicer and easier than normal top-coat wall paints.

Thanks Simon,

Yes, the house is under heritage overlay. Thanks for the heads-up.

Cheers

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

This vid calls it a white set plaster wall. Assume that's the same as a bare set?

Thanks Kermit

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects