Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Wooden necklace stand

iwantcheesecake
Getting Established

Wooden necklace stand

Basically am using simple wood to do up a necklace stand.

Need some advise how I can secure the top portion. Connecting between the horizontal and vertical wood piece. I was thinking of hammering in a piece of nail and thereafter party it so that I am not able to see the nail.

Any advise from the seniors here?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Wooden necklace stand

I've flipped the photos for you @iwantcheesecake.

I hope some of our resident woodworking gurus like @Wayne, @AndrewJones and @ProjectPete might be able to assist you with this project.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Mick0s
Having an Impact

You could drill out a section of the horizontal piece with a drill bit (spade bit, or forstner bit) the same diameter as the rod, but not all the way through. Then push the vertical piece in with a bit of some wood glue wood to keep it secured.

Sort of like this... (playing with the new web version of SketchUp at my.sketchup.com)

wood.png

I would suggest the same thing as @Mick0s. Enjoy!
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Hi @Mick0s,

I actually did that. But I used a glue gun to try and stick the wooden pieces together. Once of them actually gave way the other day. Therefore I'm thinking if I'm able to nail it in?

You could nail/screw through it - just ensure you drill a pilot hole in both pieces first to avoid splitting. And use good quality wood glue. You'll then need to fill the hole in the top of the horizontal piece and sand back.
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

@iwantcheesecake, hot glue isn't meant for strong bonding, it's more of a decorative craft product.

I'd highly recommend removing the existing hot glue from the post, putting some water soluble PVA glue in the socket, such as Aquadhere, & taping it in place. Any excess can be removed easily with a damp rag, & it dries clear.

You won't need screws or nails, it sets rapidly, & the wood will actually break before the bond will, it's that good. :wink:

Aquadhere

Either PVA glue or you could also use epoxy resin.
Wood Working with Wayne
Wayne
Becoming a Leader

jewelery holder.jpg

Or you could use some pieces of copper pipe with T fittings. Or even a copper T piece with your existing wooden dowel.

Wood Working with Wayne
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great to see so much quality advice from experienced members in this discussion. I'm sure @iwantcheesecake really appreciates the help. Thanks guys.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects