Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Wall panelling on TV wall

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Wall panelling on TV wall

Hi all, seeking some thoughts/advice on a feature wall I'm planning.

In my FIFA Room (AKA Theatre) I'm doing panelling on the TV wall. I'm trying to decide if I do horizontal or vertical panelling...

Will horizontal compliment the width of the TV? Or will vertical look better? I have an 85inch TV and the wall is about 4m wide including a 1m doorway so the TV gets centred in roughly 3m section.

I've recently done horizontal shiplap in my entry (unfinished area so ignore the random placement of plants).

15636847399424792307775632638536.jpg

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Re: Wall panelling on TV wall

That's a lovely TV..:bigsmile:

Would you believe many decades ago I had the first widescreen TV in South Australia..

I know this because it was imported from Philips in Holland and widescreen TV's hadn't even hit Australia at that time..

It also cost $6000.00 and it was a whole 32".!!! :laugh::laugh: Man..how things have changed !!:drool:

gippslandhome
Becoming a Leader

G'day @ProjectPete exciting project ahead.

I think going vertically will take away the point of having a widescreen tv. Vertical panels will just narrow your veiw to the ceiling and floor and give the appearance that the tv is not as wide.

Going horizontal will just enhance the room Style I believe and make your tv look like the widescreen tv it's intended too.

Just my humble thoughts 😁😁👍

Regards Rob

Definitely horizontal. If you're on Instagram, look up #modern farmhouse - there is a swag of pictures show how effective this type of paneling is. I'm planning to do my whole house this way!
Kree8
Getting Established

G’day, I’m also thinking horizontal panelling asitwould go along the longer lines of your telly. Personally, I think vertical panels would make your telly look smaller than it is and create distraction. For the colour, go with a dark-dark colour that works with your furniture. Good luck, and can’t wait to see the finished product!

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

That is a nice TV @ProjectPete mate...I went the OLED path myself but have seen a couple of QLED's around and have been impressed! :bigsmile: at 82" I'm sure the image will be very clear :grin:

I like colours your thinking of as well! Everything all just IMHO of course - and my apologies as whilst 'paint it this colour' would me much easier I am going through this all myself...with unique circumstances! I have the privilege (?) of being a B Eng (Civil) and having a mother who is a very talented designer; so my renovations are 2% construction, 8% design, and 90% argument :wink: regardless hopefully I can proffer something that is helpful!

Due to being a retired bachelor the home theater is where I spend a lot of my inside home time; so I have chosen to go with Dulux Tinker 300%. I have a Swedish places rug and massive couch (deep ocean blue and a dark grey blue respectively) and all audio visual equipment is black so I felt that if I wasn't careful everything could get dark REALLY quickly. There is very little natural light available as well (large window facing a wall). Just something to consider...in my specific circumstances it is a 'frequented' living area. If it wasn't then I think you could safely go darker without creating that oppressive and uninviting 'dungeon' feeling...just IMHO again but I feel a lot of home theaters suffer from that and I personally just don't find it comfortable...everyone is different though!

One thing that may help is 'paint boards'. I'm not sure if everyone does this anyway (Engineer...this is not my field!) but mum would constantly feed me 900x600 3mm MDF boards with differing colours painted on them (all Dulux). At one point I seriously had a dozen or more lined up against the wall in my living room! For a design noob like myself it was invaluable...I just can't see things like an experienced designer can...and they can't build the funky junk they come up with so it works out even :hysterical:

Hope that helps mate!

Miss-pink
Getting Established

First off...is the ‘shiplap’ a board or individual timbers...& from bunnings?  Second...if yes is it available Australia wide?  I’ve asked in my local here in WA and they don’t know what I’m talking about. 

I cannot find it anywhere. Generally ‘shiplap’ is a wider board, and used horizontally. 

I’d also use it horizontally. 🙂

Many thanks for joining in the discussion @Miss-pink.

I'm sure @ProjectPete will be happy to assist, but in the meantime you might find this article handy - https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/innovative-products/how-to-get-the-coastal-look-with-pine-lin...

We're rapt to have you join the community and look forward to reading more about your own projects and plans. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. We're confident that you'll get plenty of helpful advice and amazing inspiration from our clever and creative community members.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Nice to e-meet you @Miss-pink. The shiplap lining boards are individual and can be installed any direction you like. They're also readily available everywhere. This is them - https://www.bunnings.com.au/truchoice-white-primed-fj-pine-lining-board-133-x-13mm-5400mm_p0021325 - (somewhat) interestingly, they're known as shiplap and are called shiplap on the invoice, but the website doesn't use the word 'shiplap' in its title, only the description so it doesn't appear in search results when you search 'shiplap'. @Jason you should feed back to the digi team to edit the title and or search metadata :smile:

What project are you planning with these boards?

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Thanks for reply. I’m used to watching USA flipping shows where the shiplap is wider than what is here. I love the bit wider look, but if that’s all I can get in OZ..then I’ll use that. I want to do a distressed feature wall in my bedroom with it. 

And yes the entire bunnings site could be fixed. It’s so hard to find anything unless you use specific words, that have been entered. Bunnings staff all agree too. Frustrates them looking for things 🙂

thanks

Thanks for your feedback @Miss-pink and @ProjectPete. I'll be happy to pass it onto the Bunnings digital team.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects