Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Wall panelling on TV wall

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Wall panelling on TV wall

Hi all, seeking some thoughts/advice on a feature wall I'm planning.

In my FIFA Room (AKA Theatre) I'm doing panelling on the TV wall. I'm trying to decide if I do horizontal or vertical panelling...

Will horizontal compliment the width of the TV? Or will vertical look better? I have an 85inch TV and the wall is about 4m wide including a 1m doorway so the TV gets centred in roughly 3m section.

I've recently done horizontal shiplap in my entry (unfinished area so ignore the random placement of plants).

15636847399424792307775632638536.jpg

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Wall panelling on TV wall

Hi @jayho,

Many thanks for joining in the discussion. Great to see you were inspired by @ProjectPete's fantastic work and he gave you a prompt reply. Let us know if you need anything further. Are you contemplating a similar project?

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the community. We're really pleased to have you join us and trust that you'll get loads more helpful advice, inspiration and information from our clever and creative members. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@ProjectPete  So...bring in Perth too...the mason army nails just get hammered into the bricks?? 

I’ve heard of them, but not used them. 

Ta

That's right @Miss-pink - they're designed to secure timber to brick/concrete so you just hammer them in being mindful of not damaging your timber panels as the nail is nearly all the way in.

However, a little reset is probably in order. @Jason I should probs create a new post on this so it's not so hard to find - thoughts?

Shiplap cladding

Given each piece is lightweight the best way to affix them to the wall is simply with Instant Nails (Selleys and Sika have the best products IMO) and 20mm nails using a nail gun as the nails are just there to help hold in place while the liquid nails cures.

EasyVJ panels

These panels are a fair bit heavier so you affix them with the same Instant Nails plus masonary nails. But to make the job easier/cleaner to finish (ie. reduce patchwork and sanding) just get masonary nails in at the top to stop the panel falling off the wall then nail gun the rest with 15mm nails. 

In both cases tap the panel all over with a rubber mallet to ensure the liquid nails grabs to the wall. When I apply the Instant Nails I do a few circles to act like suction caps then squiggly lines in the other spaces.

Hope this helps :smile:

----------
Handy and helpful

It's been a very popular discussion @ProjectPete so feel free to create a new post. Thanks again for sharing. 

Jason

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

@Jason wrote:

It's been a very popular discussion @ProjectPete so feel free to create a new post. Thanks again for sharing. 

Jason

x2 to the above :hysterical:

DIYDave
Growing in Experience

Hi @ProjectPete 

I'd love to see a photo of your tv wall completed. I've got truchoice shiplap being delivered this weekend and it'll be the first time I've used this product. If you dont mind I've got a few questions. Did you install from top to bottom? Did you use a gloss paint? Did you brush or roller the paint? Any other tips would be appreciated.   Thanks.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @DIYDave

What room in the house are you doing? We are looking forward to seeing it. I'm sure Pete will get back to you as soon as possible.

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We trust you'll get loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration for your projects around the house and garden from our clever and creative members. Please let me know if you ever need assistance getting the most from the site. 

Thanks for joining in the discussion,

Jason

DIYDave
Growing in Experience

Thanks @Jason.

It's for a wall in the loungeroom behind where tv cabinet all go. Only 'obsticle' is to go around the split system air con. I've removed the architrave and about to mark up the studs.

Cheers.

Hi @DIYDave, happy to help however I can. I haven't done my TV wall yet (other projects prioritised) but have done the Entry (as shared in this post).

• Install top to bottom so you have a straight and full board finish at top and the bottom panel is covered by skirting/scotia (if you have it). Either way, the bottom will be less of a focal point.
  • I used Low Sheen from memory. You can use whatever you like.
  • Used both roller and brush.
    • Paint the cut ends (to prevent over expansion/contraction) and the section that laps with a paint brush and roll the rest.
    • TIP: Paint the top and bottom panel in full before installing so you don't have to worry about cornice/ceiling and floors. Also, paint at least 300mm in from the ends of each panel before you install them so when they're on the wall, you don't have to worry about the perpendicular walls/doors.
  • To fix to wall just use fast grab liquid nails and a few 20mm brad nails with nail gun. The nails are just to hold in place while glue dries so don't need to be big.

Hope this helps.

----------
Handy and helpful
DIYDave
Growing in Experience

@ProjectPete 

Thanks mate.  That's terrific advice. I feel much better about tackling this diy project.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects