Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Wall panelling - adhesive over wallpaper?

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Wall panelling - adhesive over wallpaper?

VJ.pngHi all, bit of a technical question about adhesive.

I'm installing some Easycraft EasyVJ panels (which I have experience doing) but there's currently wallpaper on the walls.

Using an adhesive such as Selleys Fast Grab Liquid Nails to fix to the wall, does the wallpaper need to be removed first for the adhesive to a) work, and b) last? I have this terrible vision of the boards slowly pulling away from the wall and the wallpaper going with it.

I feel like the answer is yes, wallpaper needs to be removed. But would also be great to save some time/effort if not necessary.

On that note, I haven't removed wallpaper before so also wondering what damage it does to the wall (plaster). And would the wall need some sort of cleaning/priming before installing the EasyVJ panels?

Thanks very much, 

Pete

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Wall panelling - adhesive over wallpaper?

Hi @ProjectPete.

I've just spoken to Easycraft to confirm what I was thinking to be the correct method of the application over wallpaper. The installation would be done as per a non-wallpapered wall using liquid nails around the perimeter and several lines across it. We both agree that with wallpaper you should also screw into the studs and noggins to ensure it is firmly positioned.

Is it vinyl/plastic covered wallpaper that can sometimes have a slick surface? If it is vinyl wallpaper I would scuff up the glossy surface with some 80grit sandpaper where the glue will be applied to ensure a great bond.

I hope that is of assistance. If you would like further information, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for confirming @MitchellMc - sounds reasonable to me.

I used to screw through but find it quicker to pop some Brad nails in which really just act as a position holder until the adhesive cures. This still of course results in a strong, secure finish.

I would be interested to hear Easycraft's thoughts on that though. Always curious.

----------
Handy and helpful

From the conversation I had with the technical assistance @ProjectPete, they felt anything above and beyond adhesive was of benefit to the longevity and structural integrity of the panel. We discussed screws as they will not pull out, though from my understanding they would have been happy with brads instead. I would advise putting more than just your usual positioning brads for peace of mind in the wallpaper scenario. If you can hit studs and noggins with those brads all the better.

The tech assist explained they felt there were very little forces in play which would make the board pull away from the wall.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for confirming @MitchellMc , it's what i expected to hear given I haven't had any issues before. Even on shiplap cladding (horizontal) the glue + adhesive is sufficient.

I also sometimes find manufacturers overcompensate with their install recommendations just to cover themselves versus advising what's actually required. But it sounds like Easycraft are very reasonable in this space which is good to know.

----------
Handy and helpful

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects