Workshop
Ask a question

Shading bedroom from the afternoon sun

Stuardo
Becoming a Leader

Shading bedroom from the afternoon sun

The afternoon summer sun heats up the bedroom and ensuite.The afternoon summer sun heats up the bedroom and ensuite.

I would like to build a basic timber pergola over the front courtyard that faces west and put shade cloth over the first metre out from the bedroom and ensuite.

Do you think that would be enough to cut the sun heating up these rooms?

Any other suggestions ideas appreciated.

There is currently an aluminum awning over the bedroom sliding glass door but this does not seem to cut down any heat in the room.

Thanks

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: The afternoon summer sun heats up the bedroom and ensuite.

Welcome to Workshop @Stuardo and thanks for joining in the discussion. I'm sure our members will have some helpful advice for you about this problem and other projects in the future. Great to see you have also shared one of your creations on the gallery with us. Looking forward to seeing more of your work soon.

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site or have any feedback about how we can make Workshop more useful for you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Have you considered outdoor blinds @Stuardo? They can be very effective in stopping heat. My concern with a pergola would be the impact in winter - I wouldn't want to lose light and warmth in winter.  

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Stuardo,

@BIM_Engineer might be the best one around this parts to tell you if a metre of shade cloth will enough to give you sun protection in the summer but I suspect he will want to know more info, like what materials your house is made of and how big the windows and sliding door is. Maybe you could share a photo or a sketch?

In the meantime, there's a Bunnings video series on How to build a pergola that might help you decide whether you are up for the job. See https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/outdoor/decking/how-to-build-a-pergola-overview

Stuardo
Becoming a Leader

Hi Isobel, Thanks and good idea, outdoor blinds may be an option. Those roll out fabric awnings could do the trick.

Cheers,

Stuart

Stuardo
Becoming a Leader

Hi MartyH, thanks for the interest. The house is rendered brick veneer and see attached photo of the wall facing the western sun. Ensuite window on the left and main bedroom on right. This is my project for 2018 and haveCourtyard 01.jpg left this area till last as I just don't know what to do with it. I am thinking Asian inspired courtyard but am afraid of the heat out there may be more suited to desert and cactus, (not a fan of).

Cheers,

Stuart.

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Hi Stuart
Thanks for the photo
I think an asian inspired courtyard, water feature and chunky shaded wooden pergola would be ideal.
I've also attached a general link to Shading Your Home hth

I do like the idea of a chunky wooden pergola! Thanks for the link, that first photo sold me I think with timber slats or louvers angled to get the right sun in winter and not in summer, or a deciduous vine. 

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Thanks for the pic @Stuardo

That chunky pergola on the other site does look great. 

You might also like to pop a post on the gardening board for suggestions about vines and other plants that might be suited to the courtyard. Perhaps you could plant a tree for long-term shade benefit?

Are you going to pull out the rotary clothesline? They take up a lot of room - a folding clothesline will help you reclaim space. 

Stuardo
Becoming a Leader

Yep, the clothesline goes and the outside will be painted next year. I've planted  lemon, mandarine and pomegranate trees along the fence line so they have a few years of growing to do. Thanks everyone for all the ideas and advice.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects